2001 f150 interesting power window problem

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 f150 interesting power window problem

Hello everybody, this is my first post to the forum and the first f150 I've owned. I recently purchased a 2001 f150 xlt super crew 4x4 and have been fixing some little things that we're bugging me one of which were some very noisy driver and passenger side window regulators. I ordered a pair of regulators with motors from 1a auto at a very good price, which could be part of the problem, but I installed the drivers side and cycled the motor a few times and everything worked as it should so I put it back together and tried it again and when I hit the auto down switch the window only goes about a quarter of the way down and stops. If I hit it again it will move a bit and stop and so on until the window is all the way down and then it rolls up no problem. My first reaction was I bought cheap parts and am now paying the price but I decided to check my connections and the one touch down relay. Everything seems good and I can hear the relay clicking when I actuate the switch. I then tried the old motor and it worked perfectly. So that made me think that the new motor was bad, I called 1a auto and explained to them what happened and they sent me a new regulator. I received the new regulator today and installed it and the exact same thing happened. Now I'm scratching my head. Is it possible I got two bad motors because the old motor continues to work when I hook it up or could it be something else. Thanks for any insight, it is very puzzling to me why the new regulator will roll up just fine but I have to hit the auto down switch 5 or more times to get the window all the way down. It also doesn't matter if I hold the switch in the down position the window still stops in increments all the way down.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you disconnect the regulator from the glass and see if the glass moves up and down freely? It sounds like the glass may be binding on the way down, this puts resistance on the window motor and tells it to stop running.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
Can you disconnect the regulator from the glass and see if the glass moves up and down freely? It sounds like the glass may be binding on the way down, this puts resistance on the window motor and tells it to stop running.
I tried that and the glass moves up and down freely in the track.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Even if I hold the regulator in my hand with it connected and press the down switch it does the same thing with nothing to hold it back.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor
Kind of sounds like a bad motor.

-Steve

Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM
That's what I'm thinking it's just odd that I got two bad motors back to back. I guess it's just a design flaw. I sent the regulators back this morning and am going to try one from napa.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I had good luck with Dorman and they are sturdily built.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 f150 interesting power window problem