2002 F150 Headlights On; Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 Headlights On; Dead Battery

Howdy ya'll,
After unloading the truck after a fishing trip today, my mother in law mentioned to me that the headlights were on (daytime, "auto" selected on the switch). I thought they might turn off after a few minutes. 20 minutes later I return to the truck and the head lights are still on. I turn the switch to "OFF" and try to start the truck, and it won't crank at all. The DOOR AJAR light is on, and I hear a very rapid clicking noise coming from the passenger side dash (a relay I believe).

I'm thinking whatever switch/relay turns the AUTO headlights off after the doors are shut didn't function, and drained the battery. I installed an aftermarket stereo system back in 2005 that has been acting up lately, but I don't think that's what the issue is. I read a few threads about door switches sticking open leaving electrical power on to the radio and lights, and this sounds similar.

Battery is an Interstate, about 4.5 years old, currently on a charger.

2002 F150 SuperCrew; 115,000 miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Update

Got the battery charged and truck started. Drove it about 4 miles, checked all the interior and exterior lights, radio, 4x4 hi, 4x4 low, windshield wipers. I didn't check the electrical driver's seat or mirrors. Everything looks/feels good.

The headlights will not turn off! All the headlight switch positions feel right with a solid click and everything, including pulling the **** out in the ON position for the fog lights. Here's what's happening:

Auto - All exterior lights are on (as the should be, it's dark outside)
Off - All exterior lights are on (headlights, tail lights, parking lights)
Park - All exterior lights are on
On - All exterior lights are on (pulling **** out turns on the fog lamps)

After I drove I turned the truck off, turned the lights switch to OFF. The exterior lights and instrument cluster lights stayed on, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal.

These fuses/relays are below the steering wheel which I'll check tomorrow:

Relay 5: "Daytime Running lamps," though I don't think I have that option since I can just turn the lights off with the switch.

Fuse 14: Battery saver relay / interior lamp relay
Fuse 27: Foglamp relay and indicator / main light switch (upstream)

There's also a main light switch fuse under the hood.

It seems to me if a fuse/relay failed the affected component would not work at all. What would cause the lights to turn on and NOT BE ABLE TO TURN OFF?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Checked all fuses under the steering wheel and at the power distro box under the hood, no blown fuses. #6 under the hood (main light switch/park lamp relay) was fine.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Pulled the Parking Lamp Relay fuse (#3) and main light switch fuse (#6) from under the hood and those kill the lights. Sounds like a relay is going bonkers in that fuse box when I plug them back in, hopefully that is where the problem is.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 Headlights On; Dead Battery