Driver side power window 1999 F150 GEM bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did mod, still have VDC in OTP

I did the modification to bypass the GEM. I would think that would then lead to not getting VDC when the switch is in the OTD position. However it still is. I am sure that I did the correct wires. I need some advice here.

Thanks

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You should only have + VDC on the gray wire when you press the switch all the way to the OTD position ( full back, instead of part back ).

The light blue w/ black stripe wire will have + VDC any time the accessory delay relay is active ( key in accy or run position or after turning off truck for 10 min and before opening the door ).

Not sure that your test ruled out a mechanical issue with the window rolling down. Your test only confirmed normal operation of the window while applying power direct to the motor.

The test case you are after is with what should be no power applied, overnight the window lowers.
- That is not what you confirmed.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 PM
clean the gears!

Bought a new motor, took the old one out and tested it while plugged up, would only work in up position, not down or auto down. Tried new motor, same thing. Looked at old motor, tons of gunk on outer gear that runs regulator. Cleaned that up. Also undid the GEM bypass. Motor worked both directions, reinstalled, works fine. Never saw that advice about fixing the window. Now to return the motor.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 AM
I have a 99 ford f150 an I need to know wiring colors for windows.

Heres what I'm looking at!

They cut the harness an i ordered a 98 wiring hatnass for my door .. Just dont understand how to get it hooked up .. Thought the color scheme was the same but i dont think thats the case.. Idk.. But i do know i need help..

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Taking a look at the power window diagrams, it seems that it is as easy as wiring the down side of the switch to the motor ( so it looks and works like the passenger side ).

Diagrams :

diagram 100-1 triangle A is wired to the GEM. Cut this wire ( in the door ) and wire it direct to the switch at triangle D shown on 100-2.

This will have the down side of the motor direct to the down side of the switch.

Curious how you ruled out the switch or the motor being an issue.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:06 PM
use the hammer

driver side power window would not go down. Troubleshot the electrical system i.e. switches, power to the motor, gem etc. concluded that all seemed ok. and problem must be in the motor. Read somewhere in this forum that someone gave the motor a good whack with a hammer. I figured I had nothing to lose and did it (In fact gave it multiple whacks) Lo and behold it worked. Left the door panel off and tried multiple times over the course of a couple of hours. Other than the battery going dead cause the dome and other lights stayed on, it continued to work(after I put a charge on the battery)Don't know how long it will last since I didn't really fix anything but who knows. I did wd40 the regulator rails even though they were not gummed up.

I want to thank the participants in this thread for their thorough troubleshooting procedures. Without their postings I would have been lost.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:26 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by avarello1984
I did wd40 the regulator rails even though they were not gummed up.
Silicone Spray Lube is the thing to use, but WaterDispersent#40 made of fish oil might too.

Quick Reply: Driver side power window 1999 F150 GEM bypass