cruise not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise not working

so my cruise has not worked in a long time, same with the horn. i read somewhere that the two can be related somehow?

so today i went to change out the cruise brake pressure switch, well it did want to come out and broke off. then broke my easy out trying to get it out, so ended up with an new master cylinder. and pressure switch. hoping this would be the cure to my cruise control. but it did nothing. the switch came with a new plug wire to replace the recalled ford one.

so what do i do now. would be nice to have cruise back, and maybe the horn lol

Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Did you check the fused recall harness?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
clock spring could also be suspect....

Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 PM
fused recall harness would have nothing to do with the horn its just a jumper fuse to prevent fires if possible leakage from the cruise shut off switch should happen. if none of your steering wheel work and a air bag light on you have a broken clock spring

Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
The cruise and the horn might be related or unrelated. The faults may be from a single failure or from two separate faults. The OP hasn't reported having done anything to determine what the case is.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Couple things to check...is your light burnt out that illuminates the shift indicator? (Center console shift) also, all brake/tail lights working including middle one on cab?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Ok sorry for late reply. I read a few other posts that dealt with the same thing. And it turns out the problem was the #5 horn fuse under the hood. I never check for a horn fuse before. So the two must share that fuse. So I guess a spent money on a pressure switch which cost me even more after it broke and cost me a new master cylinder. Lol live and learn. Should invest in a meter to check electrical. Horn still doesn't work but you can hear the relay clicking so just the horns don't work.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Also the new pressure switch came with a new harness pigtail. So I unwrapped the one ford installed after the recall and there is no fuse in it. Just the plugs and two wires.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
The two wires are the fuses (fuse link wiring).

Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Hello
I have the same problem with my cruise control not working. I have a 2002 and I checked the VIN and its not on the recall. I did the cruise self test and after the last switch was pressed the cruise light flashed twice. But the question I have is that the cruise moved the throttle to test the actuator and the cable after the coast switch was pressed, before the set/ accel was depressed. Should this concern me or is that normal? I'm going to replace the brake switch and see if it works from there. Please let me know if there is anything to watch out for also. Thanks

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I did more investigating online and found out it was the cruise shut off switch on the master cylinder and I unwrapped the recall pigtail and found that the fuse was blown. Replaced both cruise shut off switch and fuse and it works fine now. Just one question tho, They had a 2 amp fuse in the recall fuse holder and I can't find one that small. I put a 5 amp fuse in. Do you think this might cause a problem in the future? Thanks

Quick Reply: cruise not working