windows and wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windows and wipers

i have a 1997 f150,4x4,4.2 5speed,,the power windows,windsheild wipers,and interior light just decide to quit working,,they well work when you first start the truck,but after you drive a few miles they dont work,then if i park the truck for 15-20 minutes everything works again till i start it and drive a few miles,one thing i noticed yesterday when it did this,i turned the truck off turned the key in the on position,without starting it and everything worked,but that didnt work for me today to get the window up i had to let it sit 20 minutes,,can someone tell me where to start to look cause this ones got me on the edge?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The list of symptoms sounds like an issue with the GEM.
- You can search for wet GEM or windshield GEM and see a few threads on it.

The GEM is bolted to the of the back of fuse panel in the cab of the truck.

1st step is to pull the fuse panel
Right click save as :
http://my.voyager.net/~sscully/1997F...stallation.pdf

With the fuse panel / GEM out of the truck, you can unbolt the GEM from the fuse panel, and inspect the pins and the socket for them. I would suspect that there is a green / corrosion on them.

This happens from a leak in the windshield long the driver's a pillar up around the top.

If you confirm the issue with the GEM, time to have the windshield resealed, to stop the water.

You might be able to clean the corrosion, but if it is bad enough, you might be best off to replace both of them.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you very much i am going to check that,because i do have a leak in the top right corner,right at the pillar when i wash it or it rains,there is a visor on and i thought the leak might be coming from there,eitherway i need to solve that problem

Quick Reply: windows and wipers