Is it possible to test a window switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to test a window switch

Since I drove my 2004 F150 FX4 Crew off the lot, my arm has always hit the window lock switch to the lock position and it would always drive my family nuts when they went to roll down a window. Well yesterday, my wife went to roll down the window and I get "the look". I checked the switch and it is in the unlock position. She tries to roll it down again and nothing. I use my controls and it works. I can control all of the window from my controls, but at each door the controls do not work. Is it possible that the window lock switch went out while it was in the "locked" position? Is there a way to test it?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
possible yes, probable I would guess no.

You can test the switch

My route would be to pull the passenger side switch, and test for power when the master switch lock is off.

The yellow with Light green stripe wire on the passenger switches should have + VDC when the lock is off and the key is in the assy or run position.
- If is does not have power, you can proceed to testing the switch, but my next guess would be broken wire in the rubber boot from the driver's door to the a-pillar.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I took the switch out and looked at it, it did have some corrosion on it that I was able to cleean a little but it still would not work. Went to grab the multimeter and computer for the schematic above. Turned on computer and wife has been on Amazon. I found many on Amazon cheap so I just went ahead and ordered a new one. I figured the lights were out in it as well, for $35 and free shipping, just unplug and replace.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to test a window switch