Half my instrument cluster stopped working right

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Half my instrument cluster stopped working right

Good afternoon,

Strange things are happening with my instrument panel and I figured I should ask the experts what is going on.

About a week ago my 1997 4.6l suddenly refused to start. It still turned over, but after trying a few times the battery went dead. Took the battery in and had it charged and tested, they said it was fine. Took it back, plugged it in, still wouldn't start. Started just fine using starter fluid, so I assumed it was fuel. Replaced out the filter (which was full of really dark gas), still won't start. Describe the problem to the shop and they tell me its a fuel pump, give me an estimate and I have it towed in. After messing with it as much as I did, the battery was dead when it was towed.

Sits at the shop for 5 days waiting for an "appointment" to open up, they replace out the pump and now it starts fine, but they tell me the battery is now shot with 0 cranking amps. They give me a jump and I drive it to O'Reilly's where I purchase and install a new battery. Now it starts fine and everything seems to work except:

The tach keeps dropping to zero at random times.
The voltage meter sits at zero when the engine is running though it shows good voltage with the key at acc.
The oil pressure gauge is all over the place.
The fuel gauge is rolling all over the place as well.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Couple things to add in case it helps.

The dome light comes and goes
The power windows come and go
Cruise control is now completely dead. Won't come on, or the indicator light won't come on at least.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 PM
This one must be a real head-scratcher!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks

Quick Reply: Half my instrument cluster stopped working right