Radio interference when braking. Huh?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio interference when braking. Huh?

Hi all:

2002 Expedition w/ factory sound system. This just started a few days ago. When I first start the engine, and step on the brake pedal, the radio plays static. I can apply and release the brake pedal, and the static comes and goes in synch. After about 5 seconds of applying the brakes, the static goes away, and stays away until the next time I start the truck. I've reproduced this several times. It doesn't matter if I hold the brakes on continuously, or press and release them multiple times. After about 5 seconds of brake application, the static goes away. It's like something is discharging when I press the pedal.

I can't even guess what this might be, or whether it has to do with the harness in the truck or a failing component in the sound system. Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM
i would say you eater have a bad or broken ground some ware. or you have a wire that is wearing through and grounding out but not enough to pop a fuse

Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Well, whatever it is, it's getting worse. Now, it randomly happens while driving, too. And, it sometimes happens for longer. I guess hoping it'll go away isn't working.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I found the problem, I think. This problem started soon after I redid the front suspension. The plastic brackets that go on the tops of the front shocks, that hold the wheel speed sensor cables, broke when I attempted to remove them. I'd temporarily zip-tied the cables in place, but needed to make a bracket to keep them from moving around. I spent some time last weekend tidying up the cables, and made a little bracket to attach them to the shock ends with P-clips. The problem disappeared immediately, and hasn't returned since. The cables aren't worn or kinked at all. But somehow, having them loose must have caused the interference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio interference when braking. Huh?