Mystery Black & Red wire not connected -- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to have been pulled out of the connector on the bottom of my steering column -- at the bottom of the photo you can see the is a multi-wire connector that I guess this black&red wire is out of. This connector seems closest to the horn, airbag, cruise control area of the steering wheel -- attached photo was shot from down under the wheel. I had the steering column open to clean my multi switch (I had no turn signals or brake light -- but that is all fixed now) Here is the mystery wire -- my high horn has never worked -- just the low sounding horn -- but I don't think this wire is related to that -- I think both horns are from just one wire....

I have a 2002 Expedition but I think these are all the same parts as the F-150 (Yes, I think this is a better group to ask than the Expedition Forums)

Last edited by HarveyCat; 02-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I take it you are not the 1st owners of the vehicle.

That looks like aftermarket 16/2 wire.

You are going to have to trace it down to the other end, to find out what it is going to. That does not look like factory wire.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I take it you are not the 1st owners of the vehicle.

That looks like aftermarket 16/2 wire.

You are going to have to trace it down to the other end, to find out what it is going to. That does not look like factory wire.
My father bought this new at dealership and nothing has ever been added. I am sure that this column has never been opened before. Car was only ever serviced at Dealership -- but you should know that it is an Eddie Bauer (Soccer Mom) all the bells and whistles model (ie: has VCR & CD changer in center console etc)

The wire seems to come out of the same place as all the wires to the lower connector (see below) and the end seems like it was crimped into connector.

Close up of connector that wire seems to be from -- connector is on bottom of column -- closest to steering column.

Last edited by HarveyCat; 02-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Well for all those on the edge of their seats -- so far everything still seems to be still working -- so I guess it is an extra part. I was nervous when I tried out the cruise control -- worried it might never shut off -- now I wonder if the airbag is OK -- I wonder would a dash warning light will still come on even if a wire was yanked out?

Last edited by HarveyCat; 02-25-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Black & Red wire not connected -- any ideas?