Ignition system problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition system problem

I have an 07 4x4 no special bells and whistles, 4.6 liter motor. ignition switch on, motor not running the battery is dead within 10 minutes. Have checked battery in load test, alternator, all is good. If the ignition switch is in the on position for less than 5 minutes with the motor not running, it drains my battery to dead. I jumped the battery and immediately it fires up. This has been a problem for a couple of years, I just don't listen to my radio sitting in the truck without it running. I am now waiting on something to break down. When I first bought the truck, I had to have it towed twice, with no electric charge. They said they replaced a relay. It ran fine for a couple of years, now having problems again. Is there an ignition circuit problem? I did a DC Amp test with a DC Amp gauge on the positive cable of the battery and showed 0, no amps, no drain. What am I not seeing?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does your ignition have acc. mode? try the same test in acc. mode, (key turned back) and see if it does it. If it doesn't then that would help narrow it down.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I did a DC Amp test with a DC Amp gauge on the positive cable of the battery and showed 0, no amps, no drain. What am I not seeing?
You didn't see any current draw which would suggest that 1) The meter was defective, check for a blown fuse in the ammeter circuit or 2) The meter was incorrectly hooked up resulting in a non-reading.

How old is your battery? Do you have any idea what it's RC rating is?

Any idea how much current must be draw to drain a "good" battery in 5 minutes? That takes a draw in the range of the starter motor....

Last edited by projectSHO89; 02-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Ignition system problem