Optima 400 Charger on Cursed Lexus Battery.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Optima 400 Charger on Cursed Lexus Battery.

So some of you may have been following this thread of mine...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...d-battery.html

No updates and still haven't found anything. Battery hasn't died in several months. Can't remember the last occurrence but it has been within the past six.

Anyways, because of this problem I know the battery has been zapped completely dead ~3-4 times now; like to the tune of down to ~5volts. Supposedly anything below 10.5 is bad. Most of the time I brought it back slow with a charger but the last time we had no choice but to jump it to get it going. Either way, that always fixed it.

Well, I got an Optima Digital 400 charger for Christmas and have been playing with that. I cannot get the stupid battery to take a full charge; according to the charger. For the past week, if the cars at home, it's plugged up. Right now for example it's charging at ~14.0 volts and 2.2 amps. It also has a percentage gauge on the charger. Currently and always showing 75%. Won't get any better. When I check the battery status (not charging), it's always 12.8 volts. Right now it's about 13.5 volts. I don't think I know what the percentage indicator is telling me, but whatever. I know the charger is working cause if it hook it up to the truck, it charges for a very short time at 12.X volts and sub 2.0 amps before it swaps to a "maintain" mode.

Anyways, don't know if I have a specific question in here...just rambling. Car starts strong and runs just fine. Hopefully I can leave it plugged up all day tomorrow and see where it gets to.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Don't be so stubborn - Optima batteries are no longer what they used to be! Time to switch to Odyssey/Sears if you want an AGM battery.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't completely disagree with that George, but can't really justify that much money for one of those batteries for this car right now. Keep in mind I don't trust the car; it's the cars fault I'm having this issue, not the batt. An Optima batt has never let me down. With that said, it's hard to consider ~$100 more for a heavier batt when I've never had issue with these.

Quick Reply: Optima 400 Charger on Cursed Lexus Battery.