Door jamb switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door jamb switch

I have a 2006 f150, been having trouble with the dome light, door chime not working. I sprayed some wd-40 on the latch, and it worked for a while. It recently got stuck again, so I'm figuring it needs to be replaced. I ordered the part from rock auto. I took the door panel off and found the switch on the latch, does anyone know how to actually take out the old one, and put in the new one?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, I figured it out on my own, here's some pics of what the switch looks like when replaced. It twists off and on very easily, taking the latch out to get to it is the pain in the ***. But I have a feeling of accomplishment, so its all good. Hope this helps somebody out. After I replaced the switch, my dome light, door ajar light alarm and door chime started working perfectly. The WD40 works only for a while, eventually the switch will need to be replaced.
Name:  SWITCH3_zps9bdaef5a.jpg
Views: 20829
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  SWITCH2_zps4acfdc5f.jpg
Views: 9468
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  SWITCH1_zpsd4e74673.jpg
Views: 9063
Size:  53.5 KB

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Excellent photos. Exactly the same as my 2004 F150 Lariat which I just got through fixing the dome lights not coming on with door open problem. My problem was with a bad splice in violet wires located in driver's side rear door sill tray. But I took the driver's door lock off before finding the problem wire. Anyway, I took the switch apart and it was good. And, I don't know why you would need to replace it because it's real easy to take apart and clean. Did you have any problem putting everything back together. I did. Took me a few days to figure out how the door handle rod and the door lock rod connected. Just put it back together yesterday. Today when I rolled down the driver's window I heard a sound of the glass scraping metal. So, I must have put that bent rod in your photo in wrong. Couldn't find any pictures of how that rod is supposed to look when re-installed.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I took the switch apart and cleaned it up, but I figured, only $12 for a new one. When I did mine, I unclipped the door lock rod off the handle, with the handle still on. To get the latch rod off, I had to remove the (outside) handle off and kinda twist it, to get the rod off. the latch came out with 3 rods attached(door lock,outside handle, and door panel rod) and the inside handle cable. There is a bracket that needs to come out before the latch itself can be pulled out. That bracket serves two purposes, it holds the wiring harness on one end, and has a window guide on the other. Check to see if that bracket/guide is where its supposed to be. Before you put your panel back on, temporarily plug in your window switches and test everything. If the widow guide isn't lined up correctly, it will scrape against the rods.

Last edited by VALBOLSKI; 01-12-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Did you have to take the door handle out as well?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by boydgilley
Did you have to take the door handle out as well?
The outside handle has to come out, to be able to take the rod off that's hooked on to the latch. The inside handle cable can stay hooked up to the latch, just be gentle with it, and pull the latch out just far enough to swap out the switch.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by VALBOLSKI
I have a 2006 f150, been having trouble with the dome light, door chime not working. I sprayed some wd-40 on the latch, and it worked for a while. It recently got stuck again, so I'm figuring it needs to be replaced. I ordered the part from rock auto. I took the door panel off and found the switch on the latch, does anyone know how to actually take out the old one, and put in the new one?
Sorry for reviving the thread... quick question, which door was it?

Old 01-14-2020, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by VALBOLSKI
Well, I figured it out on my own, here's some pics of what the switch looks like when replaced. It twists off and on very easily, taking the latch out to get to it is the pain in the ***. But I have a feeling of accomplishment, so its all good. Hope this helps somebody out. After I replaced the switch, my dome light, door ajar light alarm and door chime started working perfectly. The WD40 works only for a while, eventually the switch will need to be replaced.
Attachment 10035
Attachment 10036
Attachment 10037

I think I need to do this because, on my '04 SuperCrew Cab, the dome lights won't come on when I open either of the rear doors. Also, when I lock the truck with the keyfob I don't get the horn alert (when clicking the lock button twice on the fob) I just see the tail lights flash and the quarter lights in the front flash.

Quick Reply: Door jamb switch