97 column change, wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 column change, wiring

Happy New years to everyone.

I have been searching posts and just cant find what I am looking for.

I have a 97 F150 with a 4.6 that the column is junk. I picked up a used column for a local yard that seems like its in great shape. It is the only one they have. My question is, my truck is a non-PATS system and the new column is a PATS system. I pulled the covers off and all the plugs seem to be the same except for one. On my truck its a 2 pin connector with a green/white and black/white wire. The PATS column has a 4 pin with black, white, blue, orange. I found some info online calling the 4 pin a transponder plug?

Does anyone know if this plug can be converted to work with my truck? I am guessing the other plugs will plug in correctly.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it Black w/ white stripe or Black with light blue stripe wire ?

Dark green w/ white stripe & Black w/ light blue stripe pair are the ignition cylinder tamper ckt on the 97/98 ( this was the short method to an immobilizer prior to PATS ) .

What year did you pull the column from ?

I ask, as those do not match up with the PATS transceiver module ( pin # in front of color code )
4. White w/ light green stripe
3. Gray w/ orange stripe
- both to the instrument cluster

1. Black w/ light blue stripe wire = PATS trans module ground
2. Red w/ light green stripe wire = CJB Fuse #30 + VDC in start or run position to power the PATS trans module

This is a 4 pin single row connector, with the tab up, key on both sides of connector, pin #1 is on the left.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Just looked again, you are correct the 2 pin plug on my truck is g/w and blk/lblue on truck side, steering side is black/white. I told the yard 97 so I'm not sure until tomorrow. So is this new column no good to me, or can something be bypassed or spliced?
Thanks for the quick reply
Kenny

Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Got it, the 2 pin plug when unplugged activated the alarm horn. Took the PATS key chanced out and the transponder and installed my key cylander and wiring for the alarm and everything works fine.

Quick Reply: 97 column change, wiring