Question regarding PATS and Ford IDS software

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding PATS and Ford IDS software

I have an 07 F150 that I bought used. It came with one key and I ordered a second one and had it cut. It needs to be programmed and I happen to have a Ford IDS scanner at work. I looked at the PATS section on it regarding key programming and it says the usual statements about needing to have two working keys in order to program a third. So, I called the dealer and they said they could program my key no problem for $107. The lady on the phone didn't know how they were performing this procedure or what equipment they were using.

My question is this: How is the dealer programming a key when only presented with one working key? Are they using IDS or another programmer similar to what locksmiths use? I am hoping someone on this forum has some experience in this matter or knows someone who works at the dealer. BTW, I did a search on here and was not able find an exact answer. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I only had 1 key / fob with my '04 when I bought it a few years ago. I brought mine to the dealer to get second key and fob. Was a 110 buck adventure. Watched the whole process, as it was done in thier parking lot.

Dealer has a computer module they plug in and it takes about 15 minutes to set up the second key / fob. There is like an intentional 10 minute count down timer in thier module that needs to complete before the programming finishes. They explained it as the PATS system (in the vehicle) won't allow a quick cloning as an added security feature, that requires a long timer so that a bad guy can't just go in there and do a 15 second cloning and drive away.. The computer module they use complies with this PATS requirement.

After the second key / fob are programmed, then you can do your own, because you need two pre-programmed keys to accomplish a third (or more) on your own.

Bad guys hate lights, noise and extended times to do thier evil things.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi & welcome!

Have you seen this? https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...pats-info.html

And this: https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...y-one-key.html

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-11-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I do not recall the IDS having the HEC / PATS service module in it.
- The ones that I know are the NGS with the service bay module and the PDS.

You would need to check the manual you have for the IDS to see if it has a HEC programming section ( not expecting it ).

The route some dealers take for programming a 2nd key to a PATS vehicle with 1 key is to erase the HEC and follow the new key programming steps.

Parameter reset will not do it, that clears the PCM ID in the HEC for relearn ( i.e. cluster replacement ) not the keys.

If you just need a 2nd key in case you misplace one, get a local locksmith with a RFID clone unit. They can cut the key and copy the RFID tag from the 1st key to it.
- To the vehicle they look like the same key, so you cannot program a remote start PATS bypass unit with them.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
More and more hardware stores are getting clone units now. However, I don't think they will clone a key if you bring a key in, they will want to cut it themselves. Still a lot cheaper than the dealer.

I was talking to the guy at my local "mom and pop" True Value about this - he said that they don't want to invest in the machine (it costs $6000) and they refer people to the bigger Ace Hardware next town over, they have the machine. They charge $49.95 to cut and clone a Ford key. The local Ford dealer wants $95 to do it right.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by glc
More and more hardware stores are getting clone units now. However, I don't think they will clone a key if you bring a key in, they will want to cut it themselves. ...<snip>...
The keys for the clone unit are blank, and the RFID is burned into them ( one time only ).

The key needs to the be correct one to use with the clone unit, one from Ford or eBay already has the RFID programmed into it and that cannot over written ( it is not EEPROM for the RFID tag in the keys ).

If you cut a key for a RFID clone unit and without cloning a RFID tag into it, it will not program into the HEC.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM
glc
What I'm saying is the hardware stores have the right blanks and only want to cut and burn them, not a key that you bring in.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yes, thank you. I have seen the information. However, upon further reading it appears the process described for programming a key with only one working key using a sequence of on/off ignition turns doesn't apply or work with the '04-'08 F150s. I could be wrong but I am worried to try the process and end up killing the memory and then not being able to start the truck with my one good key.

I did try a process shown on youtube involving eight cyclings of the key but to no avail. I did however hear a chime, but nothing changed.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I do not recall the IDS having the HEC / PATS service module in it.
- The ones that I know are the NGS with the service bay module and the PDS.

You would need to check the manual you have for the IDS to see if it has a HEC programming section ( not expecting it ).

The route some dealers take for programming a 2nd key to a PATS vehicle with 1 key is to erase the HEC and follow the new key programming steps.

Parameter reset will not do it, that clears the PCM ID in the HEC for relearn ( i.e. cluster replacement ) not the keys.

If you just need a 2nd key in case you misplace one, get a local locksmith with a RFID clone unit. They can cut the key and copy the RFID tag from the 1st key to it.
- To the vehicle they look like the same key, so you cannot program a remote start PATS bypass unit with them.
Ok now this is interesting info because my IDS at work does in fact have a PATS section in it. However, it is just for the process of making a third key when having two working keys.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by 04fxdwgi
I only had 1 key / fob with my '04 when I bought it a few years ago. I brought mine to the dealer to get second key and fob. Was a 110 buck adventure. Watched the whole process, as it was done in thier parking lot.

Dealer has a computer module they plug in and it takes about 15 minutes to set up the second key / fob. There is like an intentional 10 minute count down timer in thier module that needs to complete before the programming finishes. They explained it as the PATS system (in the vehicle) won't allow a quick cloning as an added security feature, that requires a long timer so that a bad guy can't just go in there and do a 15 second cloning and drive away.. The computer module they use complies with this PATS requirement.

After the second key / fob are programmed, then you can do your own, because you need two pre-programmed keys to accomplish a third (or more) on your own.

Bad guys hate lights, noise and extended times to do thier evil things.
I wish I knew whether or not they used IDS for this process. If so, I wonder why I can't seem to find the program in mine for programming one key with one working key.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
More and more hardware stores are getting clone units now. However, I don't think they will clone a key if you bring a key in, they will want to cut it themselves. Still a lot cheaper than the dealer.

I was talking to the guy at my local "mom and pop" True Value about this - he said that they don't want to invest in the machine (it costs $6000) and they refer people to the bigger Ace Hardware next town over, they have the machine. They charge $49.95 to cut and clone a Ford key. The local Ford dealer wants $95 to do it right.
So, I did actually get this key cut at True Value and he told me he had the machine and would do it for 59.95, I may just have to return and try this process. He told me he only paid $1000 for programmer. I googled key programmers and I think I found the unit he has. Who knows if this will work or not. According to you guys, the changes are about 50/50.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 PM
glc
His unit will make a clone key. You still won't be able to program your own but you will have a spare.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
His unit will make a clone key. You still won't be able to program your own but you will have a spare.
Ok, well this is better than nothing. I think I have exhausted all resources at this point. Taking this any further would only make me a cheap skate. I will just get a "clone" key. Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Just a quick update. True Value was not able to code the key, the machine kept getting an error code of some kind. Has anyone successfully had their 04-08 key copied in this manner?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by goodgollyjosh
Just a quick update. True Value was not able to code the key, the machine kept getting an error code of some kind. Has anyone successfully had their 04-08 key copied in this manner?
At my locksmith I had clones of both keys made.
- Total of 5 keys but only 2 PATS RFIDs. 2 factory 2 copy of 1 key 1 copy of the other.

From your post, you need to go somewhere that the staff knows how to use the equipment.

Quick Reply: Question regarding PATS and Ford IDS software