Headlights Not Responding to the Headlight Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlights Not Responding to the Headlight Switch

Hey everyone I'll try and make this short. Hopefully looking for help and a fix ASAP as I'm in the fire academy and pretty much have no time to take the truck in or fix it myself. (I haven't even washed the thing in 2 months...goes to show how much time I have)

Anyways I love how this truck decided this was the right time to start having problems. Just tonight got in my truck to run and go get cash. Started the truck and the lights turned on even though the headlight switch was turned to OFF.

Played with the switch and they weren't responding. I can turn it to ON and turn the fog lights on, but when I switch them to OFF or AUTO they still remain on. I have NO DRL's. The headlights turn off once the truck is off. They are acting as if they are on the AUTO setting. I have checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood. All are still good to go.

My latest change is I have a Gryphon and changed it to the level 3 canned tune. It has been this way for about 3 weeks now with no problems until the lights tonight.

I have HID lights and fogs. I have had them for over 2 years with no problems.

My truck is a 2001 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4L 4x4

Thanks everyone

Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Maybe the switch itself? Haven't heard of this before, and the only HL switch issue i've heard of is the auto lights killing a fuse due to a chaffed wire. The switch you have is probably going to be up in price a bit, so i'd look for a basic switch to test it. (no fogs, no AL) If you think you'd want to do that, let me know. I've still got my old HL switch from when I put fogs on my 03, and I really have no use for it.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Well this morning the problem persisted then when I got out of the academy the problem seemed to resolve itself. Weird.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Might be an omen where its not dead yet, but real close. Time will tell though.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the headlamp relay.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Check the headlamp relay.
this

Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the HID kit you installed, is it direct to the factory wiring or is there a relay that is connected to the battery and the factory headlamp wires are used to trigger the relay ?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Can someone point me to the headlight relay? I checked my owners manual over and over and can't find it. I read because I don't have DRL's that the "relay" is in the multifunction switch? Is this true?

As far as the HID's there is a relay and factory wires are used to trigger it.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My guess it's the crap relay harness that came with the cheap Chinglish PnP HID kit that's failing.

You say you have no time? It will take you 10 minutes to replace the HID's with halogens and return the factory connectors to their original place on the factory bulbs.

That will solve the problem. And it'll stop you from blinding everyone you meet on the road. As a fireman it is my sincere hope that will mean something you.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
My guess it's the crap relay harness that came with the cheap Chinglish PnP HID kit that's failing.

You say you have no time? It will take you 10 minutes to replace the HID's with halogens and return the factory connectors to their original place on the factory bulbs.

That will solve the problem. And it'll stop you from blinding everyone you meet on the road. As a fireman it is my sincere hope that will mean something you.
Do you ever contribute to the threads you post in? I swear every post I've seen you make has been negative in some way. Get off your high horse and don't post in a thread in which you have nothing to contribute. Fireman to fireman.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by |SoCal|Screw
Can someone point me to the headlight relay? I checked my owners manual over and over and can't find it. I read because I don't have DRL's that the "relay" is in the multifunction switch? Is this true?

As far as the HID's there is a relay and factory wires are used to trigger it.
There is no headlamp relay in the 2001, if you are turning the switch to the headlamp position ( all the way right ).
- Autolamps is another story, but focus on the off ( park positions where they the headlamps are on ).

The headlamp fuse feeds the MFS, which feeds 2 fuses, 1 for each low beam.

Time to pull the relay for the kit, and see if the contact in it are welded in the close position.

If the kit relay is triggered by the factory low beam, it should only be on when the headlamp switch is in the on or auto position.

There is a very minor chance it is the autolamp relay causing the issue, but I would start with the relay in the kit.

Pull it and test with an ohm meter from terminal #30 to terminal #87. With no power it should be infinity or open. Any other reading would be an issue with that relay.

A quick test for the autolamp relay is with the switch off, and the key in the run position, check for + VDC on both sides of the low beam fuses ( central junction box fuses 26 & 28 ). In the off position it should be 0 VDC.

BTW ; Ignore MGDfan. He demands politeness and gratitude from other members ( for his nuggets of go search it ) but he is allowed to harass other members ( and the moderators ) to no end in his opinion.
- He has had a few "vacations" from the site to show for it...

Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
There is no headlamp relay in the 2001, if you are turning the switch to the headlamp position ( all the way right ).
- Autolamps is another story, but focus on the off ( park positions where they the headlamps are on ).

The headlamp fuse feeds the MFS, which feeds 2 fuses, 1 for each low beam.

Time to pull the relay for the kit, and see if the contact in it are welded in the close position.

If the kit relay is triggered by the factory low beam, it should only be on when the headlamp switch is in the on or auto position.

There is a very minor chance it is the autolamp relay causing the issue, but I would start with the relay in the kit.

Pull it and test with an ohm meter from terminal #30 to terminal #87. With no power it should be infinity or open. Any other reading would be an issue with that relay.

A quick test for the autolamp relay is with the switch off, and the key in the run position, check for + VDC on both sides of the low beam fuses ( central junction box fuses 26 & 28 ). In the off position it should be 0 VDC.

BTW ; Ignore MGDfan. He demands politeness and gratitude from other members ( for his nuggets of go search it ) but he is allowed to harass other members ( and the moderators ) to no end in his opinion.
- He has had a few "vacations" from the site to show for it...
Hey thanks for the help I appreciate it. I will give this a shot as soon as I have some time this week.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by |SoCal|Screw
Do you ever contribute to the threads you post in? I swear every post I've seen you make has been negative in some way. Get off your high horse and don't post in a thread in which you have nothing to contribute. Fireman to fireman.

Whether it makes you raw or not doesn't change the fact that MGD does contribute with a great wealth of knowledge. Methinks some folks take themselves a little too seriously when the delivery rubs them the wrong way and/or the advice given ain't what they want to hear.

That last part is a prevailing issue 'round forums. A lot of folks don't really want the right answer to their question(s), regardless of the delivery. They simply want to be reassured that their view/opinion is OK or to be talked into doing what they really, really want in the first place.

You wouldn't be that feller, would ye?

Do you perceive his response to be negative because it stings a little? If so, and MGD's advise is sound, what does that tell you?

In any case, to say that MGD doesn't contribute? Yeah, that's just false.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^LMFAO !!!

Dear OP;

Would you rather I be brutally honest ( which is acceptable betwixt ADULTS ), or would ye rather I blowed sunshine up yer immature, fragile behind?

I contributed thus: told you yer harness is Failing. Told you HOW to fix it, in ADDITION to improving yer impact upon those unfortunates who happen to be near you.

Perhaps find another profession - yer demeanor to-date is not one of a professional firefighter. Waay too childish and butt-hurt. I have 2 firefighting neighbors - I showed them this and they simply could NOT help laffing their aysses off.

Their recommendation = Walmart greeter strike yer fayncy?

MGD out.

PS - please, feel free to use Advanced Search to find my other meager 'contributions' ... IF you can manage it - requires an actual attention span though.

Quick Reply: Headlights Not Responding to the Headlight Switch