No display in Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No display in Radio

2004 5.4 3V Lariat. The radio works, but the CD player does not and the display does not show anyhting. Everything worked before I had the carpets cleaned at the car wash. Any ideas? Everything else seems to be working, just not the items metioned. I checked some of the fuses and did not find any of them bad. It would help if I new which fuses were directely related to the radio/CD player. I also made sure that had not played with the dimmer switch.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With the dimmer switch all the way up, the next questions is what fuses did you check, and how did you check them ?

Service manual shows this as the fuse list without DVD player.
F1
F22
F7
F31

All of these are fed by F102, but I would suspect other issues if this was blown.

This is a factory Headunit with no modifications, correct ?

Instrument illumination fuses
F5
F40

But you would have issues with the mode selector ( if 4x4 ) message center ( if equip'd ) instrument cluster itself, speed control ( if CC equip'd ) or the pedal adjuster switch illumination.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow, great info - Thanks

Yes it is the stock head unit with the 6 CD player. I think something got wet as it was all working fine before the interior was cleaned.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Oddly enough the display came back on. Maybe something needed to dry out.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going to sound like a really dumb question, so bear with me. I love this site because the few issues I've had with my 2008 FX2, I've been able to fix myself after logging in here.
Two days ago, my radio stopped working. That includes CD & Satellite radio. There doesn't appear to be any power going to the radio at all. No clock, etc. Everything else around the radio works. Is this a blown fuse? And here's the dumb question....The Owner's Manual states that the fuse panel is located under the right-hand side of the instrument panel. Remove the trim panel and fuse box cover to access the fuses. I don't see anything like that. Where is the fuse panel? Pictures at least show me things are. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM

The owners manual is written like crap.

What that section is calling the "instrument panel", the remainder of the non auto manufacture employee calls the dash.

It is in the passenger side kick panel, same place as the fuel inertia switch.
- If you read the location for that, it makes sense. Obviously 2 different people wrote those sections of the manual.

It got me when I 1st got my '06, I was digging around the center console area where the OBD plug is at trying to find it.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my battery dies (which is often) there is not main display and it is just blank other than the top part (if that makes sense) like it wont show you the radio station

But after I start it again for the second time it goes back to normal

Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
The owners manual is written like crap.

What that section is calling the "instrument panel", the remainder of the non auto manufacture employee calls the dash.

It is in the passenger side kick panel, same place as the fuel inertia switch.
- If you read the location for that, it makes sense. Obviously 2 different people wrote those sections of the manual.

It got me when I 1st got my '06, I was digging around the center console area where the OBD plug is at trying to find it.
Another dumb question....You ready? Where is the "passenger side kick panel", or the "fuel inertia switch"? I'm good at fixing things when I have a Service Manual but, since I don't, pictures or a better location description are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your responses.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Sit in the passenger seat - take your right leg and move it to the right. What your foot will hit is the kick panel. Pull it off and you will find the fuse box and the inertia switch.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by effextwo
Another dumb question....You ready? Where is the "passenger side kick panel", or the "fuel inertia switch"? I'm good at fixing things when I have a Service Manual but, since I don't, pictures or a better location description are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your responses.
Sorry the owners manual now calls it the fuel pump shut off switch.
- Guess after years of fuel inertia switch, they had to use a normal name for it, so I am guilty of the same as above, of using auto mfgr lingo

Page 191 ( 2004 - 1st printing ) of your owners manual has a picture of where the passenger side kick panel is at, but you would have played hell trying to find it search the PDF version of the owners manual for "fuel inertia switch".

It is a line art picture of it, but it shows the glove box and location from there.

Quick Reply: No display in Radio