Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
no power at fuel pump

2002 Ford F150 5.4 4X4 the fuel pump relay seems to be working, i hear it click using a test light but the light barely glows (my buddy suggested this might indicate a grounding out condition or something else is pulling off this relay), but no power is going to the circular 4 prong connector that connects to the fuel pump. I do not have dashes on the odometer, the theft light is not blinking, could the fuel pump driver module be the culprit, the last morning i was able to drive my truck my battery light was coming on and going off intermittently, then totally died later on the way home and has started briefly a couple of times but dies shortly after, now my battery seems to be going dead, could a low battery also cause the fuel pump not to turn on? also i have checked all fuses and the fuel pump reset in the passenger kick panel
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F250 6.8
Seriously, fix the dead/weak battery problem first, likely an alternator problem. Otherwise, messing with the fuel pump is like a doctor treating a broken leg first while the patient is bleeding profusely.

1995 Mustang GT Convertible, only 68K miles.
200 Ford Contour Daily drive.
2001 F250 SD, 6.8L, 4 X4.
2007 Mercury Mariner AWD - Wifey's daily driver
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Your truck does not have a FPDM like the 04+
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Project is right, the cart goes after the horse, not before it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
Try swaping the fuel pump relay with one from the trailer tow adapter ( seem to recall the battery charge relay is the same size ).

The battery issue does need to be addressed ( as noted above ) but if you are not getting the same power on both sides of the relay, this would be my suggestion.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F250 6.8
If the battery is dead, the relay doesn't matter.

1995 Mustang GT Convertible, only 68K miles.
200 Ford Contour Daily drive.
2001 F250 SD, 6.8L, 4 X4.
2007 Mercury Mariner AWD - Wifey's daily driver
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
charged the battery, replaced the alternator, then jumped the fuel pump relay to pressure the line and the fuel pump did not turn on as i got no pressure and did not hear it come on, is there any way to verify if the fuel pump is bad, i have heard of wiring it straight to the battery to test it, or should i be looking somewhere else, the fuel pump is less than 4 years old. when i do jump the relay i get power to 1 out of 4 prongs on the harness that goes to the fuel pump is this correct. I have tried eight different relays
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
The 4 wires ( from the 2001 EVTM )

Pink w/ Black stripe wire = + VDC from the Fuel Inertia switch
Black = Ground

Fuel pump module ( fuel level )
Yellow w/ white stripe wire = to the instrument cluster
Black w/ Orange Stripe wire = Ground ( ref for gauge ).

If you have power to the Pink w/ Black stripe wire you know that part is functional from the fuse ( through the relay and inertia switch ) to the harness at the fuel pump.

Did you happen to use the ground on the connector when checking for VDC at the Pink w/ Black stripe wire ? ( make sure it is not a ground issue ) ?

did you try smacking the bottom of the fuel tank a few times with a rubber mallet ( don't use a hammer it can damage the tank ) ?
- Some times the fuel pump will hang up and slugging the tank will break it free. give it 8 to 10 smacks and a second before trying it.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM