Disable Anti-Theft System

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 04:32 PM
MJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disable Anti-Theft System

Well, I broke my spare key and had to go down to the dealer to buy a new one. That only cost me $25 (no big deal). Then I went to the service dept. to have it programmed and they wanted $70.

I also broke my wife's Expy key so to replace 2 keys, I'm looking at almost $200!

Does anyone know how to disable the anti-theft function on the ignition, so I don't have to have the keys programmed and spend $200?

Thanks,
MJ

Old 08-10-2001, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it's possible... I believe the PCM interfaces with the PATS system to disable the ignition in the event a non-programmed key is used. Not sure how you could fool the PCM into believing the key it's scanning is actually a programmed one... not sure how it gets that signal. Sorry.

Your best bet is to buy extra keys before you break the originals... if you have two working keys, you can program additional keys yourself. You just have to have the new PATS keys cut to match the old ones and follow the procedures in the manual. But, like I said before, you have to have two working keys to program additional ones.

-Joe-

Old 08-11-2001, 11:47 PM
How did you break them?

That dealer is trying to bend you over most dealers should reprogram them for .5 h or .6h. (keys are pricy but if you have the keys the labour time should be around that) Tell them that you know all they have to do is hook up the wds , let it run the pats ten minute secuirty access delay and then reprogram it. (it also takes about 5 min to connect the wds and for it do download your vin, and some time to drive the vehicle in so .5 to .6 of an hour is fair. 1 hr or more is not)

By the way if you have two keys that function you can program and additonal key your self - see owners manual *

* some times from the factory vehicle do not allow the extra key to be programmed unless the extra key programm is enable in the pcm - only seen that on a few late models (01)

Old 08-13-2001, 11:04 AM
MJ
Thumbs up

The plastic part of the key had shattered and I found the chip laying on the ground. I was able to get the "broken" key to work by taping the chip to the key with electrical tape. This was good enough to let me program the new key.

Thanks,
MJ

Old 08-13-2001, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PATS system cannot be disabled so the recommendations above are a good idea - buy an extra key (third) when you purchase your vehicle and use your two keys to program the new one.

If your key breaks, the glass tube inside needs to be properly oriented to allow the key to be read properly - if you look at the glass tube you want the end with the gold wiring to be nearest to the steering column when the key is inserted into the ignition.

Old 08-19-2001, 08:25 PM
It cost me about $70 for me to get 2 new keys and the system reporgrammed after my wife lost her key. Now I have 2 spares!!!

Quick Reply: Disable Anti-Theft System