@ Way Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Way Radio Installation

Hello All,

I am looking to install several of my HAM Radios into my new F-150 Supercrew. I am going to install a VHF 2-Meter Radio, a VHF/UHF Dualband Radio and a scanner.

I have done this several times before (in Explorers) but never in a pickup truck. I am looking for advice for routing the coax to the antenna's (Mag Moount Antenna's). I believe there is a hole on the driver side that I can route the power cables to the battery but I am also looking for the best way to route the coax.

Are there any books on installing 2-Way Radios in Ford trucks?

Thanks in Advance,
John DiGiovanni

Old 08-21-2001, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi John

Im not a HAM. Just 11meters CB.

Dont know if theres a specific book for installs on F150.

As you know already, going straight to the battery is usually a good way to go.

I ran a 8ga. wire from + on battery, thru engine compartment firewall (thru rubber grommet-near drivers side) This puts it very close to my CB, which i mounted vertically, below dash radio. My truck 99SC F250LD (like F150) Only place i found that worked ok for me.

I did cover that wire with spiral wrap, for protection. Installed in-line fuse for radio. Have other item tapped into that line, so feed both off that one 8ga. wire. Ran the ground wire with hot, same location, grounded to OEM ground on firewall. You could also tap into the power-feed mounted on firewall, next to battery, as an alternative?

I use a mag-mount. On roof, ( have snug top on bed) Enough room between cab & snug top to drop coax down, brought coax under bed to a rubber grommet on passenger side, which allowed me to fish the coax up inside the door sill, under seats to radio. For my situation, i wanted antenna on top of cab roof.

That worked for my me. Of course, as you may know, there are other ways to mount. I even went thru the roof one time. Fished coax thru the dome light, but aint gonna do that again.

Hope that helps. BTW I dont think the shielding in these newer Ford trucks is to good. One new noise (sound) finally turned out to be from the PCM. Not a biggie, but its there. Also found out that going to a different antenna cut down on the electrical noises. My 88 F250 didnt put out the elect. noise level this 99 does. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. Of course some antennas/ radios are better than others , internal filters, etc.

Hope this helps you out. OT

Quick Reply: @ Way Radio Installation