Anyone had to replace the dash lights?

Old 08-09-2001, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone had to replace the dash lights?

Well, I've got probably three bulbs burnt out behind the dash now, so I can barely see the tach, fuel, and one other gage at night. I am planning on replacing all of the bulbs at once to avoid having to repeat the exercise again right after completing it the first time.

Are there any real problems, hassles, or tricks I should know about?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2001, 01:41 AM
gopher,

If you know how to take the dash apart this is very simple. The bulbs simply have to be pushed in and turned to lock them into place. It takes a bit of effort to get the bulbs to move sometimes when you're removing the old ones but they will come out. I used a plyers with a delicate touch. To get to the bulbs you don't have to remove the plexiglass cover. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold the interment panel in place. Also; when you get tnew bulbs at the auto parts store, you'll see that they sell the bulb and the holder but you'll just need the bulbs themselves.

Do you know how to remove the 4 dash panels required for this??? There is one trick to removing the light switch if you haven't done it before.

***P.S.:We finally cool down on Thursday***

-Adam

Old 08-09-2001, 01:58 AM
HEy AjRagno,

Was curious if u could explain the trick?? Thanks

Old 08-09-2001, 02:35 AM
To remove the light switch assembly:

*Turn the lights to the "ON" position.
*Pull back on the ****.(You'll see a small opening at the base)
*Put a small screwdriver in the opening and pull back on the switch while at the same time using the screw driver as a lever.
*When the **** pops off, turn it 180 degrees and push it back onto the switch assembly.
*With the **** back on the switch assembly (backwards) turn the **** clockwise and pull back. Turning the **** releases spring loaded clips and the assembly will slide out of the dash panel.

I don't think the Haynes manual explaines this very well.

Old 08-09-2001, 10:43 AM
I also have a dash light out. What is involved in removing the dash panels to gain access?

Old 08-09-2001, 06:36 PM
Shouldn't be a problem getting in there then. Thanks for the tip on the light switch. I'll probably work on tackling this sometime this weekend.

Thank goodness for the cooler weather, right Adam? Now I won't have to feel like a prisoner in the AC to be comfortable!

Later-

Jason

Old 08-10-2001, 02:14 AM
Sideshow,

Dash Panel Removal......

To get to the insterment panel you'll need to remove 4 pieces. You also need a socket wrench with extentions as well as 3mm & 7mm drivers.

*Radio Bezel*:
Just get your fingers under it and pull back. It pops out. You then have to remove the passender side airbag ON/OFF module with a 4mm driver (maybe 3mm).

*Upper Steering Column Cover*:
Just pull back on this one too. It pops out.

*Cluster Trim*:
This is the one where you'll need to remove the light switch assembly. After you slide it out, unplug the two connections and set it aside (Be careful with it.They do break). Behind the switch there is a 7mm bolt to remove. There are also 3 bolts on this panel above the insterment cluster and 2 below it. When you get all the bolts out, put the gear lever into 1st and pull the panel out to remove.

*Dash Cover (This is the big one)*:
With the insterment cluster trim out and all the bolts removed this one pops out from clips at the front. Just pull back on it but if it doesn't come free easily, check for bolts you've over looked.

There are 4 bolts that hold he insterment panel in place. After you take the bolts out there is no need to unplug anything. Just lay it face down on a towel, exposing the bulbs on the back.

That's about it. Be careful with the panels. If they scrape together the paint will chip off.

Old 08-12-2001, 01:30 AM
Cool

Well, I got in there this afternoon and replaced the bulbs. It took about 2 hours, including a trip to the auto parts store for the bulbs and a little cleaning. No big problems or hassles. I replaced all the main illumnation bulbs at once so I shouldn't have to do this again soon. I also used the long life bulbs instead of the standards. Can you tell I hope there are many more miles to be had out of this truck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone had to replace the dash lights?