PCM Power Relay??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM Power Relay??

I am pretty sure this is the problem with my F150. But I have called every part store asking about this part & no one has a clue. If I go into Advanced auto or any part store what do I ask for?
I own a 03 F-150 Supercrew. 4.6l - 2 wheel drive.

Thanks so much.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand why they have no clue. Who told you your problem was the PCM Power Relay? And what exactly is a PCM power relay? Been a while since April 1, I hope you haven't been looking since then.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what controls the power relay?????

Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
I understand why they have no clue. Who told you your problem was the PCM Power Relay? And what exactly is a PCM power relay? Been a while since April 1, I hope you haven't been looking since then.

If you don't know what a PCM Power Relay is, you should follow Mark Twain's advice.

If I go into Advanced auto or any part store what do I ask for?
Depending on the parts store's computer, they may call it the EEC or the ECM (both acronyms are synonymous with the PCM) relay. In any event, it is the master relay that controls operating power to the vehicle computer and if must be good for the truck to run. When they start to go bad, all kinds of weird things happen (intermittent stalling, no starts, etc).

Go to Advance Auto and ask them for a Borg Warner (BWD) # R3177 relay. It's around 12.50 retail and is a generic relay 30A relay. The same relay is used in several other functions in your truck including the fuel pump relay.

So what controls the power relay?????
The ignition key switch.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-05-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, THAT relay. What was Mark Twains advice? Ask for an EEC or ECM? That guy was really ahead of his time wasn't he? How did he know about the EEC and ECM? Must have been smarter than the average parts guy.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
Oh, THAT relay. What was Mark Twains advice? Ask for an EEC or ECM? That guy was really ahead of his time wasn't he? How did he know about the EEC and ECM? Must have been smarter than the average parts guy.
I dunno, but I suspect it *may* be the tenth on one in this list:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mark_Twain/31

Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start pats problems

Originally Posted by Jessicca Ochs
I am pretty sure this is the problem with my F150. But I have called every part store asking about this part & no one has a clue. If I go into Advanced auto or any part store what do I ask for?
I own a 03 F-150 Supercrew. 4.6l - 2 wheel drive.

Thanks so much.

new to forum and I know thread is a little old but for anyone struggling with pats crank but no start issues here's my experience it may help some. My truck would start when not used for awhile after shutting off it would crank but not restart. Theft light blinking. I replaced fuel pump no change. Before u waste time and money like me check all fuses relays and diodes having to do with pcm. I highlighted in manual all fuses relays and diodes in my manual then started checking. Pcm diode turned out to be rusted switched with ac diode and viola fixed. I spent hours replacing fuel pump and searching for bad grounds but please check both ur fuse panels first Hope this helps someone

Quick Reply: PCM Power Relay??