1997 F-150 - GEM Replacement - Reflash Unit - Odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F-150 - GEM Replacement - Reflash Unit - Odometer not working

1997 Ford F 150, Supercab, 4.6 L, Automatic, 4x4 XLT

I replaced a GEM module due to some intermittent issues with my radio and lights coming on at random times and draining the battery, but now my headlights, turn signals and speedometer do not work The .windshield was resealed due to leakage before I replaced the module.

The module I purchased was from a local ford dealership (Tousley in White Bear Lake, MN) and the guy in the parts department said it would work. The old serial was F75B-14B205-PB. The new serial was F85B-14205-PA.

I did check the MFS to make sure I had not messed up any wires and everything looks good there. The flash to pass high beams and the hazards work fine.

Do I need to have this reflashed or programmed at the dealer? Both units have the words "PICK-UP MECHANICAL 4X4" printed on the label with the serial number. The truck does have the shift on the floor for 4x4.

Any other thoughts on what could be wrong. The fuses that control the headlights (low beams) do not have power, but the fuses are good. The ones in the engine compartment appear to be good.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The GEM, there are only a few types, and they are not upgradable.

The fuses for the L&R low beams & the one for the high beams need to be tested with the main headlamp switch in the on position.
If you are testing the low beams, turn on the switch and make sure the MFS is pulled back, and check with a meter to both pins on the back of the fuses.
If you are testing the high beams, turn on the switch and push the MFS forwards, and check both pins on the back of the fuse.

Took a look at the EVTM cell 59 for the GEM, and saw nothing for the odometer. Could be something else got yanked apart while replacing the GEM.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Called Dealers Service Departments - Conflicting Answers

I called around to a bunch of different resources today.

The three answers that got were:

1) Replace the fuse box. If the GEM went bad, so did the fuse box. The GEM is plug and play

2) We can reprogram it for $130.00. Bring in the old GEM module

3) Local shop will re-program for $95.00 and check for other potential issues (1hr labor plus programming time.

I'll take #3 to start with. Hopefully this gets me on the right track. I post what the results are. Can anyone answer definitively if the 1997 GEM for be reprogrammed or it is plug and play????? This is my biggest source of confusion and I may call ford to find out for sure.

Thanks again for the replies SSCULLY. I repeated these tests with the same results. It still could be a fuse box which I will at least price out at the dealer and some of the local junk yards.

Zack

Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
im having the same issues with a 01 expo just like you say with radio randon cluster lights im going to try to change the GEM

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Update - 1997 GEM doesn't need to reprogrammed

I did bring the truck into a ford shop and the GEM for a 1997 cannot be programmed. I did pull out the fusebox and saw green death inside (rust or other evidence that this guy had water in it). I'm hoping to find some time to pop the new fuse box in this weekend. Hoping this takes care of it...

For the 01 Expdtn, I am not sure if the GEM needs to reprogammed. It may need to be, but someone with a new vehicle could answer that question better.

Take a look to see if your windshield needs to be resealed too. If the GEM is bad, it could be as a result of water from the windshield or from a body seam. I think the issue was similar to that of the 150's.

Zack

Quick Reply: 1997 F-150 - GEM Replacement - Reflash Unit - Odometer not working