What line is "hot" when the vehicle is on only, closest to the console?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What line is "hot" when the vehicle is on only, closest to the console?

One thing that drives me nuts about Ford is that the outlets are on all the time, even when the cars off. While thats nice occaisonally when you want your phone to charge, more often than not you just want to leave a bluetooth adapter or AC adapter in 24/7, an in those cases it will kill your battery in a few days.

So what I wanted to do was add an ignition only Cigarette plug in the center console. Does anyone know if there are any wires anywhere that can be tapped into to be ignition only? The closer to the center console or seat, the better- but I'm willing to run it if I need to. thanks!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not that is open and 20 A.

You will need to get a relay , connect the circuit that is driving the power outlet to the common terminal, and the Normally Open side to the power outlet.

Next ground the coil, and use something like the radio ( assy delay ) circuit to trigger the coil on the relay.

This way the load is still on the correct circuit, but the turning off is done via a load AMP draw relay coil.

I added the 5 USB outlets to my 2006 this way using Dayton solid state relays.

Quick Reply: What line is "hot" when the vehicle is on only, closest to the console?