Won't Start - '94 F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Start - '94 F150

Greetings Everyone!

I have a '94 F150 I6. 245k miles.

It won't start with the key.

I've had issues in the past with it not starting due to corroded terminals. But that's the not case. Terminals are super clean.

The solenoid is fairly new. I can turn the key into on position and arc the solenoid and it starts. I even bought a new solenoid to test and it did the same thing. Will arc but won't start with the key.

So my next thought was the ignition switch has gone bad when you turn it all the way to start. So I bought a new ignition switch and installed it. Still won't start. But again...if I turn the key to on position and arc the solenoid it will start. But it won't start with the key without arcing the solenoid.

There's got to be something obvious here that I'm missing...and I'm not a mechanic my any stretch.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I should try next.

Thanks so much guys!!

All of your comments will be greatly appreciated!

Best regard,
Brian

Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What exactly happens when you turn the key to START? Does the radio shut off? Do you hear the starter relay near the battery click? If the radio doesn't turn off, the problem is inside the column, between the lock cylinder (where the key goes) and the ignition switch (underneath, with all the wires). If the radio stops but the relay doesn't click, the problem is in the starter interlock. What transmission does the truck have? If you don't know the exact model, read this whole caption & add your truck's details to a signature so they show with every post:

You can omit "F150" and "19.." since we assume that. But put the 2-digit year, engine size, transmission model, trim level, cab/bed configuration & wheelbase, transfer case model (if 4WD), gear ratio, tire size, miles (or KMs), mods, maintenance, damage, repairs, etc.

If there are any terms you don't understand, read this: Automotive Terms & Abbreviations

Uploading pics of your truck would also help. This forum supports pics, but it's easier to embed them in your posts if you follow the instructions at this link:
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos

Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks so much for the reply!

I appreciate your assistance.

I checked what you said to do and when I turn the key to START - the radio goes off.

So like you said I guess it's the starter interlock. Sorry for being dumb but I have no idea what that is or where it's located. Also is that what I ask for at the parts store? Thanks so much!!

Best regards,
Brian

Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM
I can't answer your question until you answer mine. Put your truck's details in a signature. The starter interlock is a circuit between the ig.sw. & the starter relay, but it depends on the transmission & other options. Does the truck have factory or aftermarket keyless entry or anti-theft?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Sorry I didn't answer your questions appropriately.

I'm not where I can look at it easily. I will do it tonight when I arrive home.

The truck is I6 Automatic, no anti-theft, or keyless entry.

I'll post the details later...thanks so much for your help sir!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Read these captions:

Quick Reply: Won't Start - '94 F150