No Speedometer or Odometer 2001 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Speedometer or Odometer 2001 F150

Hello, I have a 2001 F150 4.2L manual transmission (M5OD). Speedometer and odometer are not working. Speedometer fluctuted wildly before it went out altogether. Probably unrelated, but the cruise control went out about 5 months before that. Autozone code reader indicated Speed Sensor, which plugs into the back drivers side of the tranny. I replaced that but still no speedometer or odometer. No fuses are blown. I saw a 2006 thread that pointed out a cold solder problem behind the instrument cluster, but the link porivided no longer works. Can anyone provide detail on what to look for and pointers on taking apart the instrument panel/ dash before I go the dangerous route of trying to figure it out myself?
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Greg Upton's excellent HowTo on repairing an intermittent odometer display in 97-03s is a sticky-- the second thread listed at the top of this forum. Right up there ^^

Here's a link to it: https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...er-repair.html

Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks F150NJ, I was reading it just a minute ago and then came back here to write never mind, but you beat me to it. THis is an ecellent looking posting with super pictures, I think even I could tackle that.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by dplett
Thanks F150NJ, I was reading it just a minute ago and then came back here to write never mind, but you beat me to it. THis is an ecellent looking posting with super pictures, I think even I could tackle that.
It is very well written and easy to follow. I did this repair on my own truck and had no trouble. The only tricky part was carefully freeing, and later reinstalling, the gear indicator. And I took the opportunity to adjust mine to read dead center on the gear letter while I was at it. :-)

If you have basic soldering skills, you should have no problem. Though it sounds like your truck may have more wrong than just a cracked solder joint behind the odometer display.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
speedometer/odometer not working

Well, I just about give up. I followed the instructions from Greg Upton and did find a cracked pin solder, the same one he did; the pin standing apart from the others. I used a magnifying glass and found no other cracked solder joints. I repaired the solder, put it all back together and still no speedometer or odometer. I anyone has ideas, I'm all eyes & ears. Otherwise I plan on taking it to a mechanic. Bummer.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Did you ever find out what was wrong with the speedo? I hate to revive old threads but this same problem is plaguing me.

Quick Reply: No Speedometer or Odometer 2001 F150