tapping into my auto lamp wire ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tapping into my auto lamp wire ?

This is what i want to do i want to tap into my wire #8 thats my auto lamp wire and i want to splice in my fog light wire #5 to make it wear my fog will turn on and it will turn off auto matically i already have my switched filed down where i can do this my question is will this work?http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how...s/foglamps.htm

Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pin #8 on the main headlamp switch is not autolamp output , that is the power feed to the main headlamp switch from BJB fuse #3 ( 30 A ).

Pin# 7 is the output of the main headlamp switch to the autolamp module.
- turn **** to left, Pin #8 is connected to pin # 7 and the autolamp module is now enabled.

Did you file down the ramp in the switch for both the park and auto positions ?
Did you splice the brown ( parking lamp ) wire to the white w/black stripe wire ( and remove CJB Fuse #27 ) ?

If so, you should be able to pull the fog lamp switch out ( on position ) in the auto position.

OR

Are you looking for the fog lamps ONLY to be auto ?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
yes i have filed down the switch wear i can pull the fogs out on parking and auto im wanting the fogs to turn on and be automatically go off when i shut the truck off thats when i have the fog switch pulled out

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

OK with the full modification done ( ramp mod and wiring mod ) that is what you have, the fogs when pulled out go on, in the auto position ( with the headlamps and the parking lamps ), and after the autolamp time out, the lights will go off.

What do you want different ?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 AM
i want it where i can just pull the switch out in the off position and the fogs turn on but they are also auto so when the truck shuts off they do to

Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 AM
or when the fogs are on when the switch is turned to the parking light location so basically i want it where my fogs are wired into the auto lamp with my fogs on only with or without the parking lamp

Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 AM

So you don't really want them wired to the auto lamps, you want them wired to a hot in run position fuse.

Change the splice from the brown wire to an add a fuse that is hot in run position only, like cab fuse panel, fuse #6, 5 A or fuse #24 10A. These should be hot in run only fuses, verify with a meter.

This makes it so the power is not from the parking lamps.

Next you have to see if you can file down the ramp in the off position on the main headlamp switch, just like you did for the park and auto positions.
I do not know if this will work, you might trash the switch.

If you can file down the fog lamp switch for the off position, and change the power, this will allow you to pull the fog lamps out in any position, and only have the fog lamps illuminated when the fuse you choose from above is hot ( which should be run position if I tracked it correctly ).

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
yes i want them hot but also wear they will turn off auto maticlly to

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 PM
so i need to get the brown wire and run it to my battery juction box and put in a add a fuse to fuse #24 or fuse #6?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 AM

Not the brown wire, the wire from the add-a-fuse repalces the splice to the fog lamp switch power

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM
so what you are saying is when i put in a add a fuse like this i then need to run a wire up to my light switch and just basically tie into #2 or # 5 wire cause those 2 wire are for the fogs?? onehttp://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HH.../dp/B000GKEXK2

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

That URL from Amazon are the same ones that I bought

The added circuit ( 1A fuse would do the trick ) would go to the White w/ Black stripe wire ( shows as pin #2, on the connector, watch the connector back there - 2 of them ).

If you spliced the yellow wire, the switch is out of the picture ( would be on regardless of the fog lamp switch position ).

Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
ok im sorry scully but i just dont under stand exactly what i need to do to have the fogs on when i pull the switch at and have them turn off when he ignition switch is turned off off sorta like auto lamps

Old 08-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by znhunter
ok im sorry scully but i just dont under stand exactly what i need to do to have the fogs on when i pull the switch at and have them turn off when he ignition switch is turned off off sorta like auto lamps
In the diagram above, instead of splicing the brown wire to the white w/ black stripe wire, splice the add-a-fuse circuit to the white w/ black stripe wire.

This in addition to modifying the ramp, so the fogs can be pulled out when in the off position ( I don't know if this will damage the switch ).

That is all there is to it. What part is not clear ?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM
okay so i splice the brown wire to a add a fuse to #6 or # 24 ?

Quick Reply: tapping into my auto lamp wire ?