Trying to wire switches to turn of and on when truck does

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to wire switches to turn of and on when truck does

i have a 08 Lariat.. can any body give me a hand i know how to wire the switches and all i just need to know what wire im splicing too that will run the hot to a small fuse panel and from there im golden.. pics would be awesome if somone has done something like this

Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are powering a fuse panel, you will want to use a circuit to trigger a relay that is attached to the battery.

The easy way is to use an Add A Fuse in one of the slots depending if you want hot in run only, or hot in run / accy or hot in run / Accy delay.

Did I read correctly that you want to run a fuse panel off this & which position do you want it to be hot in ?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 AM
You can't power a fuse panel directly from an existing switched circuit. You can tap existing circuits to trigger relays which then power fuses/devices/switches. The correct wire to tap in each case depends on exactly how you want the new device to behave.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I was not so clear on what I was trying to do im adding 4 rocker switches to power accessories like they have in the superdutys. All the switches go to a 6 fuse fuse panel I got at Autozone the panel has one hot in that right now comes from the battery. What im trying to achieve it have it set up were if I forget to shut them off when the truck is off and vise versa

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

so the switches are controlling relays of their own, so the load per switch is > 0.2 A, Correct ? ( i.e. nothing is run directly off a switch ).

Do you want hot in run only, or hot in run / accy or hot in run / Accy delay ?
All 3 of these qualify as off when the truck is off.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Each fuse should run to its own relay (pin 30 if using Bosch/ISO relays), then out (from 87) to each device. Generally, you'll ground pin 86 & run 85 to a switch & then to the factory circuit, but that arrangement can be adjusted to get different behaviors.

Quick Reply: Trying to wire switches to turn of and on when truck does