04 f150 fx4 multiple problems

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have multiple electrical problems and wondering if they are some how related. The odometer is stuck on 43416 but the back light and comp/temp works. Cruise control has not worked right since K&N CAI was installed. It would work sometimes but now it will not work at all. Back sliding glass would work at times but now will not work at all. I installed Recon taillights
and the reverse light does not work.(I don't know if they were working prior to the Recons). The RSS seems to work periodically. Sometimes it beeps when I back out of driveway and sometimes it does not.(brick mailbox across street should make it alarm) Any help with these problems would be appreciated.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this a new body style 2004 or a 2004 Heritage / Lightning ?

The Recon tail lights, are these LED ?
- Did you install the load resistors with them ?
- Did you install these at the same time as the K&N Intake ?

RSS ? ( parking aid ) ?

The reverse lights, you need to pull the Recon lights, and check the factory connector with a meter, to know if the factory bulb socket is dead or not while in reverse.

The Park Aid is triggered by the same circuit that triggers the reverse lamps, so if there is an issue with the reverse circuit, this would also cause an issue with the park aid.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM

It is the new body style. The K&N was put in 05. The Recons 2 days ago. They are LED and they do not have load resistors. I thought the RSS was the Reverse Sensing System that beeps when you are backing but I guess it is called the park aid. Thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 AM
The RSS problem is a bad sensor, had that same problem...Ebay factory Ford RSS sensor like $50-$60

Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the symptoms the same for the CC since '05 or have they changed ?

The reason I ask is the brake lamps being LED without load resistors might be a low enough value that the CC stops working ( need to have operational brake lamps to have the CC work ).

The only other external item is the CC disconnect switch, it is on the top of the brake pedal lever. Quick check of this is to turn the key to the run position and meter both sides of the disconnect switch. Light Blue w/ pink stripe wire is from fuse # 14, Black w/ yellow stripe goes to the PCM. With the brake off, the switch should be closed, and + VDC should be on both sides.

The reverse circuit, the output of the DTR ( Digital Transmission Range ) Sensor activates not only the reverse lamps on the truck, but also the PAM ( Park Aid module ) and the trailer tow reversing lamp relay coil.

At the PAM ( above the parking brake lever behind the dash ) the wire from the splice after the DTR is the Dark Green w/ Yellow Stripe wire.

Parking brake ( and other safety items, wheel chock, etc ) , turn key from off to run ( no need to start ) and put in reverse. The Dark Green w/ Yellow stripe wire should have + VDC on it.

Until you verify the cause of no reverse lamps, and test the reverse circuit, no need to go looking at anything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 f150 fx4 multiple problems