Power door locks too!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Power door locks too!

I know there is an open thread on this right now, but I don't want to thread jack because my issue is just a little different.

SSCULLY I hope you see this, or any other electrical wizzards.

I have a 2000 Expy and the PDL is going goofy right now. When you activate either lock or un lock it is the same result. The doors try to lock/un-lock but can't quite make it happen. I get a motor noise out of the driver side door, but the lock won't operate. I'm pretty sure it's the actuator for the driver door, however none of the other doors will lock either with the button or the fob.

If you try to lock the door even with the key the system just cycles. Sometimes it will stop and sometimes I have to disconnect the battery to stop it. (Didn't know it was doing this and it ran down the battery last night).

What I have done is pulled the fuse #8 from the under the hood fuse box to disable the PDL, (Momma aint happy bout that).

So I hope I gave you enough to go on, could one bad actuator cause this or am I looking at bigger problems?

Anything eles to check?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When you lock the door with the key from the outside or the key fob ?

Does it have the factory RKE ?

Is there any other add ons ? ( aftermarket alarm, powered running boards, etc )

The 2000 still used the RAP ( Remote Antitheft Personality ) Module with the lock and unlock relays ( in the F-150 these were under the oval on the dash - it is held down with spring clips ).

There are 3 relays, driver's unlock, all unlock and all lock, these are powered by the BJB fuse #8.

Just so they are posted up straight away ( the F-150 power door lock cells )

Not 100% sure if the 2000 EXPY is the same as the 2000 F150 or if it is closer to the 2001 F150 where the locks are directly connected to the CSM ( Central Security Module ).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
When you lock the door with the key from the outside or the key fob ?

Does it have the factory RKE ?

Is there any other add ons ? ( aftermarket alarm, powered running boards, etc )
Yes, just moving the mechanism makes it happen (the cycling). Even by moving the button on the door by pulling it up or pushing it down (the way we used to lock/un-lock doors). Now that I think about it I believe that it is only triggered by the drivers door lock, does that fall in line with being a bad actuator?

Yes factory RKE.

The only add on I know is a CD changer, but that quit working long before we got the vehicle.

Thanks for the diagrams and info so far, got tickets to an Angles game tonight so won't be able to disect it for a coupe of days.

Thanks again
Jim

Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

If the physical movement of the lock is causing an issue, I would start by unhooking that lock actuator to see what happens. I suspecting that the issues are going to disappear

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 AM
My thoughts too as I think about it a little more.

Thank you very much for the input. If I find something really weird I'll scream for help again. When I get to the bottom of this I'll post the results, I hate when people don't post what the solution was.

Thanks again SSCULLY
Jim

PS: Chicago thumped the Angels tonight.

Last edited by jgger; 05-12-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Boy do I feel stupid! (no comments please).

As mentioned earlier the battery was dead one morning after I started having the door lock issues, thought it was a bad actuator causing the system to malfunction. As it turns out it was the other way around. After pulling the fuse to disable the system a couple of days later the battery wouldn't start the Expy again, Jumped it and all was fine. A few more days and the battery was down AGAIN!

Pulled the Optima red top out and stole my son's yellow top and put it in so wifey could drive her car and just for S&G put the fuse back in and everything works fine now.

Charged and tested the battery with a load test and sure enough-----NO BUENO!
Also for quite awhile the gauges would sweep when the key was turned on, not any more.

So I believe I have it fixed as it was a bad battery. Again do I feel stupid........but happy.

SSCULLY if this "fix" doesn't sound right let me know, and thanks for your help.
Jim

Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM

That sounds correct. Didn't know about the gauge sweep, else I would have pushed you towards the battery out of the gate.

If the battery is low, all sorts of random strange things can happen.

Quick Reply: Power door locks too!