Help w/lighted running boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/lighted running boards

Im helping my step dad install some lighted Westin running boards.

It's a 2009 F150 Ext Cab V6. I have searched and everyone says the dome light wire is a black w/ light blue wire...but I can't find it anywhere.

We tried to wire it in to the fuse directly but the lights stay on constantly.

What is the best way to wire in the lights? If it is the dome light wire, where is it? Drivers side or passenger side?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't know who is handing you that bad advice on a 2009+ MY F150 that color code ended with the 2008 MY F150s.

What might be easiest is the cargo lamps, which is a white wire.
- Think it is down the passenger side door channel, make sure of which white wire you are grabbing if you get it towards the A pillar, you want circuit CLN06, not the other one.

A lot of the fuses in the 2009+ MY are always hot, and a FET controls turning the device on and off, which for the most part means no more add-a-fuses.

Also be careful of the load you are adding directly to circuit CLN06, if you add too much load, the truck will view it as a short, and the FET will turn off the circuit. Too many times of this, and the FET can shut off for good, meaning time for a new SJB ( Smart Junction Box ).

Best bet is to use CLN06 to trigger the coil on a relay, this will keep the load below 1A, and minimize the chances of the FET turning off the circuit.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Don't know who is handing you that bad advice on a 2009+ MY F150 that color code ended with the 2008 MY F150s.

What might be easiest is the cargo lamps, which is a white wire.
- Think it is down the passenger side door channel, make sure of which white wire you are grabbing if you get it towards the A pillar, you want circuit CLN06, not the other one.

A lot of the fuses in the 2009+ MY are always hot, and a FET controls turning the device on and off, which for the most part means no more add-a-fuses.

Also be careful of the load you are adding directly to circuit CLN06, if you add too much load, the truck will view it as a short, and the FET will turn off the circuit. Too many times of this, and the FET can shut off for good, meaning time for a new SJB ( Smart Junction Box ).

Best bet is to use CLN06 to trigger the coil on a relay, this will keep the load below 1A, and minimize the chances of the FET turning off the circuit.
Awesome man.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Help w/lighted running boards