fuse panel circuit board replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuse panel circuit board replacement

2006 xlt/4x4/5.4 sohc/scab. Ok guys....I need to remove my fuse circuit board from under the passenger side dash. I'm going to solder a new fuel pump relay onto the board. Is there anything special I should know about this job (other than removing the battery cables), before I start? I'm assuming I need silver/ROHS solder. My biggest problem, I think, is HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE DAMN THING OUT OF THERE ??? Appreciate the info!

Last edited by dozerdog; 04-02-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dozerdog
2006 xlt/4x4/5.4 sohc/scab. Ok guys....I need to remove my fuse circuit board from under the passenger side dash. I'm going to solder a new fuel pump relay onto the board. Is there anything special I should know about this job (other than removing the battery cables), before I start? I'm assuming I need silver/ROHS solder. My biggest problem, I think, is HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE DAMN THING OUT OF THERE ??? Appreciate the info!
May I ask the question, why do you need to replace the FPR? If they soldered it to the BACK of the fuse panel, they sure didn't expect it to EVER go out. Relays are generally one of the MOST reliable parts on a car or truck and even the plug in's seldom ever need to be replaced. I assume you are SURE that it is indeed bad, or you wouldn't be planing to replace it just for kicks. Curious minds need to know. I have pulled mine out just far enough to check some wiring on the back, and I SURE wouldn't want to be having to replace a soldered in relay.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
LOL! I figured someone would ask this question first! Why? because I was a moron. I was in a hurry to go through my troubleshooting, starting with the fuses and mistakenly assumed the relay was removable. I damaged it with needle-nose pliers trying to get it out. Yes, I learned the hard way. now I can't go any further troubleshooting until I fix the new problem I created. The dealer only sells the entire board for $275 + and I'd like to get out of this mess cheaper. My main concern is getting the panel out so I can replace the relay. Unfortunately, I doubt many people have ever removed the thing. Even if I buy a new board, I still have to get the old one out, obviously, and I'm trying not to do anymore damage. :o

Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I did find the root cause of my trouble. Big surprise- the fpdm is cracked in half. It fell apart when I pulled it just a little bit. Hopefully the part will be easily available at the dealer. I see where many guys have had trouble finding one. If i get the relay thing fixed, I'll be all set...

Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 AM
I did find the root cause of my trouble. Big surprise- the fpdm is cracked in half. It fell apart when I pulled it just a little bit. Hopefully the part will be easily available at the dealer. I see where many guys have had trouble finding one. If i get the relay thing fixed, I'll be all set...
DD- Once I'd backed myself into that corner, I'd sure not want to spend $275. to buy my way out of it. I would strongly consider determining from wiring schematics what wires in the loom go into and out of the fuse block for the FPR and tap those wires and install a "remote" relay. Is the relay a standard relay, other than the fact it's soldered into the board? What I'm getting at is do you have the relay already? And if not, is it something you can readily buy? I would think a "soldered in" relay might be a little hard to readily find since manufacturers would be the only ones commonly using them.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about a junk yard board, dosen't sound like it would be a high demand item.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, I just found and ordered a relay from an online store - the exact relay, from the exact manufacturer, thankfully. It wasn't super hard to find, but it was hard to find a source that would sell you just one. Unfortunately, I've never seen a late-model Ford truck in any junk yard here in central ny, but I guess I might get lucky by calling a few, worth a try. Both good ideas, thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I had to replace my fuse panel when I installed heated mirrors..it's quite easy really. Remove the little access door, lift up the front of the scuff plate on the floor (the one on the door sill). Look just under the dash panel where the kick panel meets it, you will find a plastic 'push pin' clip there..pull it. You may have to pull back the door weatherstrip some, at this point you can work the kick panel loose and out of the truck. The fuse panel is held in by one bolt on the right hand side, also on the left there is a little panel that comes off to remove the POS batt cable feed to the panel. Then there are about 5 or six plugs on the back of the panel as well as all of them on the front and side of the panel, and wala!! you have the fuse panel out in your hands..don't worry, the plugs will only go back in to the original sockets they came from (you can't mix them up !!) One of the plugs on the right upper part of the panel has a 'slider' type of disconnect, it's the only one really different from all the rest. If things REALLY go bad for you..I have an FX4 panel I might let go if the $ is right. Don't let it intimidate you..it's easier to get out than you think !! There are a couple of pic here that may help some: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...s-04-08-a.html

Last edited by sam1947; 04-04-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
thanks sam1947 for the details! I guess there really is someone somewhere on this site that has experience with everything I can come up with . Actually I have the heated mirrors now, so your old board wouldn't work, I guess.

Last edited by dozerdog; 04-04-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry, no, guess mine wouldn't work for you. Best of luck though. Somewhere I came across a full write-up on removal of the fuse panel, but trying to find it again is something else....

Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 AM
thanks sam1947 for the details! I guess there really is someone somewhere on this site that has experience with everything I can come up with . Actually I have the heated mirrors now, so your old board wouldn't work, I guess.
DD- looks like your lucky day! I'm happy for Ya. I am curious though. You said the relay you need to replace is SOLDERED in. From the pictures on the link, those fuses/relays ALL would seem to be "push in". Is there an additional panel that has soldered in components?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
DD- looks like your lucky day! I'm happy for Ya. I am curious though. You said the relay you need to replace is SOLDERED in. From the pictures on the link, those fuses/relays ALL would seem to be "push in". Is there an additional panel that has soldered in components?
Fuel Pump relay on the 04-08 MY is like the late 03 build, soldered in on the CJB, non serviceable.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I thought the relay was push-in too,but no, this one for the fuel (along with 3 other small ones-black) are soldered directly to the board, in passenger foot well. I took the fuse box apart and cleaned the solder off in preparation for the new relay, which is supposed to be here tomorrow sometime. Boy do I ever know how to make work for myself! had to disassemble every part of the box and remove every fuse (took pics) in order to get to the back of the board to solder in a new relay. Found the part online. The biggest problem getting a new relay was finding a place to sell me just one-most places only sell in bulk.

Last edited by dozerdog; 04-06-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 AM
truck works again. yayyyy!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 AM
truck works again. yayyyy!!!
Success ALWAYS has a good sound to it doesn't it? Congratulations!

Quick Reply: fuse panel circuit board replacement