2010 f150 cluster goes to zero after 30 mins

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 f150 cluster goes to zero after 30 mins

We have a 2010 F150 SuperCrew and after about a half hour of driving all the dash lights pop on and Ding and then all the gauges go down to zero. Then they reset and go back to normal and then after 5 Seconds they go back to zero and they keep doing this nonstop. If you go to drive the truck the next day it doesn't do it again till another half an hour. We were going to change the cluster but we see somebody put a new cluster in January. So my question is assuming that there's nothing wrong with the cluster what else could cause this issue? We are thinking about sending in the cluster to get it fixed but there's no sense in sending it in if the issue is in front of the cluster.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It sounds like an ECU issue more than anything.

If it was wiring/electrical, it would happen randomly.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
OP, does the engine die or the transmission act up or do only the dash functions mess up? I would start by closely checking all of the fuse and relay connections, also the battery cables (BOTH ends!) If that doesn't fix it then I would try a new battery. Tearing into the dash or wiring s going to be expensive and time consuming and may create even more problems.

Have you EVER had water leaks or flooding in the truck????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? Particularly around the dash or under the windshield????

Old 03-26-2019, 06:41 AM
I do not know of any water leaks. We ran a Carfax on it and everything checked out on it. We've only had it for a few weeks. We took it for a long test drive but obviously it wasn't long enough because it starts doing this after 30 or 40 minutes. Everything runs perfect. It'll go down the road on cruise control at 70 miles an hour but then it'll reset to 0 and the gauges and then it comes back and then it goes down and then it comes back but the truck still runs fine. I think we are going to send the cluster in and get it tested but if it test back okay which I think it will because it's a brand new cluster I don't know where to go next.

Originally Posted by joe51
OP, does the engine die or the transmission act up or do only the dash functions mess up? I would start by closely checking all of the fuse and relay connections, also the battery cables (BOTH ends!) If that doesn't fix it then I would try a new battery. Tearing into the dash or wiring s going to be expensive and time consuming and may create even more problems.

Have you EVER had water leaks or flooding in the truck????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? Particularly around the dash or under the windshield????

Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You still didn't say specifically if the engine or tranny acts up but I'm going to assume not. If correct, then I think the ECU is fine and that your problem is in the BCM which controls the dash display. I would start by going into the dash and carefully checking all of the electrical connectors. unplug them and look at all of the contacts. But first, go online and find out how to release the connectors without breaking them! Look at all of the contacts fore any sign of corrosion, overheating, loose contacts, etc. Also look at the plastic shells and see if you see any signs of melting or other heat damage.

Have you checked the fuse panels yet? Again, look for any signs of wetness, corrosion, loose fitting fuses, melted plastic, etc.

If all of this checks out then the next thing to do would be to get a schematic of the vehicle. Find the power inputs to the BCM and attach some small insulated wires to them and bring them out to where you can easily access them. Connect some meters and go drive the vehicle until it fails. watch the meters and see if one of the BCM power inputs is failing. If the power inputs are ok then you'll have to go check the other inputs. You'll just have to keep checking until you find out what's causing the failure.

Don't just start throwing parts at it, or you'll probably completely ruin the vehicle. MOST new parts are completely untested and there's an excellent chance that you get a bad part and introduce even more problems. Not to mention that you can easily damage or leave off a connector or cause other damage. I find far much damage caused by ham fisted mechanics (parts changer monkeys) than actual hardware failures. In the aerospace industry with TRAINED mechanics, the ratio or Induced failures to actual hardware failures runs about 8 to 1. I don't think anyone has ever done an honest study of the automotive industry but I would ques-timate that the ratio is probably closer to 20 to 1.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Please help with dash

Please help with this 2010 F150 dash cluster problem. We sent a cluster in and had it repaired supposably and it's still doing the issue where everything resets after driving for 35 or 45 minutes. I don't know what else to do

Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Did you thoroughly read joe51's last post? You probably have a problem with the BCM or the wiring between it and the cluster.

Quick Reply: 2010 f150 cluster goes to zero after 30 mins