is there a bambi mod for low beam projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a bambi mod for low beam projectors?

Just as the title states. I think a bambi mod should just stop the high beam relay from killing the ground to the lows. I have projectors and would like for the hid lows to remain on when they are on when I turn on my highs. But during the day when the lows are off and I need to flash my highs, I don't want the lows to flash.

think that makes sense. Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a relay harness on them already, I thought about connecting the turn on wire direct to the low beam switch but I haven't broken out the dmm yet to test anything.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Do you have a bi-xenon HID kit, or just the single lo beam kit with a halogen high beam?

The standard Bambi Mod should do just what you want... I'm about to go do it myself.
http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Tec...Foglights.html

Do you often find yourself flashing your headlights during the day?

- NCSU

Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I flash my highs all the time. With tinted windows it's pointless to wave people out. And with these heat wave I always have the a/c on.

I have a 9006 hid kit and halagen high beam.

doesn't the standard bambi mod only affect the fogs? I would actually prefer my fogs go off when the highs are on. Since I believe NJ is a max of 4 forward lights. Even though hids aren't legal, I would at least like to seem legal. lol.

I'm thinking the standard bambi mod, but on the low beam relay instead of the fog relay.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The high beam does not kill the ground to the low beams, if that is what you mean by "the high beam relay from killing the ground to the lows."

The high beam element is where the fog lamp derives ground from, which is what the URL above explains to change.

If you are talking about operating the low beam headlamps with the high beams, you would need a few relays to make this work.

Quick search on having the high & low beams on at the same time would have produced this diagram ( from 01-10-2010 ).

Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
what would the above diagram do? from looking above I was about to post and ask if I could just run one relay since the lows are HIDS. But I noticed the right relay is not tied to a ground. So I'm confused as to what the two relays are doing. It looks like the two fuse points 26,28 are just seperate low beam fuses, but fuse 16 looks like it's the high beam fuse. So to me I would think this setup is making the low beams come on when you turn on the lights and is also making the high beam switch turn on the lows. Which is what I don't want. I also get confused with that 5 pin on the relay. So I may be wrong and the relays at rest are just allowing the lows to stay on and the highs don't interfere with the on/off state of the lows.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM

The 2nd relay should be grounded, forgot about that in the last thread.

I seemed to be confused, your 1st post says one thing to me, and now the post above says something different.

What do you want to have happen with the high and low beams ?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I want lows and highs to be fully independant. One does not do anything to the other. So if my ligts are off and I flash my highs, the lows stay off. If I turn on my headlights, and then turn on the highs, the lows stay on. lows are hid, and highs are halogen.

The fog lights are what I would like to stay stock, I want them to shut off with the highs, just like stock form.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
If the filament in the high is where the fog gets it's ground. What is causing the low beams to switch off with the high beams. I think I just have to cancle that process so both beams are seperate circuits and that would be perfect.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by crudeau
If the filament in the high is where the fog gets it's ground. What is causing the low beams to switch off with the high beams. ...<snip>....
The MFS is what changes the voltage from the 2 low beam fuses to the single high beam fuse.

Originally Posted by crudeau
...<snip>....I think I just have to cancle that process so both beams are seperate circuits and that would be perfect.
They are separate circuits now, actually 3 total. 2 for the low beams, and 1 for the high beams

Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
so is there something I can just change in the switch then? The way I am wired now, is the high beams are direct fed from the stock wiring. My hid lows are powered from the battery and just use the stock wiring for turn on signal.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 PM

You are not going to be able to change anything in the MFS.

What are you trying to do ( i.e. why do you want to change the MFS ) ?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I have dual bulb projectors. Don't want my high beams to turn my lows on or off.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
He wants to be able to flash-to-pass without turning the lows on (since he has HIDs in the lows). Also, when he has the lows on at night, he wants to be able to flip the high beams without it also shutting off the lows. If I'm reading the circuit right, the lows would turn on if he flashed to pass.

Basically, operate like the 03-06 Expys do.

Last edited by ELVATO; 07-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
He wants to be able to flash-to-pass without turning the lows on (since he has HIDs in the lows). Also, when he has the lows on at night, he wants to be able to flip the high beams without it also shutting off the lows. If I'm reading the circuit right, the lows would turn on if he flashed to pass.

Basically, operate like the 03-06 Expys do.
This is exactly what I want to do. Not sure on the expys but you hit the head on the nail with what I'm after. From what sscully has said it looks like I want to modify the switch itself. Though he said it changes the voltages, I'm curious how it would do that. I would think it just breaks the ground circuit.

I've been searching and not really seeing other people with projectors wiring them the way I want. I've though about wiring a relay to the parking lights and that's what would turn on my lows, but when I lock and unlock the truck they flash. though I do have a ten second delay relay I could use. I just would prefer to not have to use it.

Quick Reply: is there a bambi mod for low beam projectors?