01 F150 Fails To Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 F150 Fails To Start

My F150 with the Tritan V8 fails to start occasionly. The engine turns over but will not start. I had it towed and it started right up for the mechanic. There were no trouble codes for security. Someone tried to steal it a few years ago and trashed the ignition switch. It will not fail for the mechanic. What would I have to replace to make the problem go away??

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When the truck is doing a crank no start, is the theft light flashing ?

Do you have any other RFID tags on the key chain that the truck's key is on ?

Does it happen more so in cold weather vs warmer weather ( if so, temp range ) ?

When this happens, have you tried opening the window, and turn the key from off to run ( do not start ) and listen for the fuel pump to cycle ?

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?

Is there a remote start alarm or any other modifications ?

Could be an issue with the PATS transceiver around the ign switch, considering what happened with the dope thinking he could hot wire a truck with a factory immobilizer on it.
Also looking at :
- RFID tag on key chain causing issues with the RFID tag from the factory key, this could cause the theft light to flash, and if you only leave the truck's key with the mechanic, that would cure the problem with this.
This would any other Ford or GM keys, also keys like Kawi pass keys, and speed pass fobs, or the likes.
- The fuel pump relay going on the way out.
I had this happen on my '01 at 30K miles, every once in a while I would get a crank no start. Turn the truck off, and make sure to hold my speed pass fob away from the key. I thought this was the cause, but the truck when compete crank no start, turned out to be the fuel pump relay smoked.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
When the truck is doing a crank no start, is the theft light flashing ?

Do you have any other RFID tags on the key chain that the truck's key is on ?

Does it happen more so in cold weather vs warmer weather ( if so, temp range ) ?

When this happens, have you tried opening the window, and turn the key from off to run ( do not start ) and listen for the fuel pump to cycle ?

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?

Is there a remote start alarm or any other modifications ?

Could be an issue with the PATS transceiver around the ign switch, considering what happened with the dope thinking he could hot wire a truck with a factory immobilizer on it.
Also looking at :
- RFID tag on key chain causing issues with the RFID tag from the factory key, this could cause the theft light to flash, and if you only leave the truck's key with the mechanic, that would cure the problem with this.
This would any other Ford or GM keys, also keys like Kawi pass keys, and speed pass fobs, or the likes.
- The fuel pump relay going on the way out.
I had this happen on my '01 at 30K miles, every once in a while I would get a crank no start. Turn the truck off, and make sure to hold my speed pass fob away from the key. I thought this was the cause, but the truck when compete crank no start, turned out to be the fuel pump relay smoked.

It took a while, but I found your previous answers for the same problem. I am going to talk to the mechanic in a few minutes and will let you know how it goes. I think you know what you are talking about. Thanks Joe

Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I had the mechanic replace the relay and the fuel fiter. I will have to wait and see if it fails again and check all the things you have listed. With what you have told me I will be able to rule out certain things and hopefully resolve the problem. Living in Arizona I'm not real sure what cold weather is. Ha Ha. Thank you very much JT

Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, we will rule out the cold weather part then
You do not have a location completed in your profile, so I just gave all the items.

Keep an eye on it and let us know what happens.

This is the thread I made when I had a crank no start, that lists the items above

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...e-my-cure.html

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 01 F150 Fails To Start