electrical problem only door locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electrical problem only door locks

so i got an 06 supercab not to long ago my door locks started acting up, i do have an aftermarket alarm/remote start if i unlock doors only passenger will unlock not the drivers door.with drivers switch i can hit the unlock and same thing only passenger side.will not lock from either side. i have power at the drivers switch but when i check power at actuator when hitting unlock or lock theres no power. my radio does work, interior lights work just no door locks.anyone come across this problem any help would be greatful
thanx rizzin06

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. When you are unlocking the doors, does this happen with the RKE or the RKE and the door switch ?

2. The after market RKE/RMST/VSS you have, is it programmed for press unlock 1 time, the driver's door opens, then the 2nd press unlocks all.

3. Did the truck have the factory RKE when you got it ?

4. Did it ever work correctly ?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
It happens with both. Everything used to work with the factory RKE and and with my aftermarket alarm plus my keypad on drivers door is inop. With the remote the unlock button is supposed to unlock all doors at once

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM

It sounds like an issue from the door to the VSM ( Vehicle Security Module ), in the driver's side dor sill.

This is when a different wire is broken, but the idea is the same :

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...door-open.html

What appears to be your issue is with the Red w/ Orange stripe wire

Here is the 1st page, you can see the PDL switch is not tied directly to the actuator

Not sure where you found power at the door lock switch, it should be switching ground to either the unlock or lock input on the VSM.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm pulling my truck in after work and looking for that wire!
Thanx so much for your help I really appreciate it. I'll write back later tonite and let u know what I find. Thanx again for ur time

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

There is a thread in the technical articles / how to forum on removing the rear seat back, so you have access to the VSM.

This would be a quick place to test if the VSM is applying power to the Red w/ Orange stripe wire when you press the button on the RKE or on the door.

If memory serves me correctly, the default state for the wires to the lock actuators is ground.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Well sscully I ripped my truck apart after work found that red with orange tracer unplugged it from the module checked for continuity from different points of the wire!! No broken wire! But the guy who did my alarm from my dealership didn't do so well of an install. I had to re-do some of his wires that he mangled by the left kick panel.. And what do u know everything works now!! Thanx so much for ur help and the wiring diagram
Happy holidays Rizzin 06

Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM

That would have been my next suggestion, god for you finding it straight away.

Glad you got it fixed, this was all you, I had little to do with it, sending you the wrong way

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM
hey i have an 06 supercab and my electric door lock is acting up. both button inside will lock but wont unlock. but everyting works if i use the remote.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by joeylafreniere
hey i have an 06 supercab and my electric door lock is acting up. both button inside will lock but wont unlock. but everyting works if i use the remote.
Pull the rear seat, and remove the connector on the VSM.

You need to check for continuity ( resistance ) with a meter, for ground, on the pink w/ light green stripe wire when you press the unlock direction on the switch.

If the RKE remote works, you know the power door locks are working correctly and the lock side on both switches indicates that part of the circuit is good.

If you do not have < 20 ohms / continuity to ground when pressing on the unlock side of the switch, next is to check for continuity from the VSM connector to splice S343, which is marked in the EVTM as driver's side C-pillar ( should be close to the VSM ).

If there is continuity to here, next is to test from the splice to the door switch. This will most likely be bad, and you need to trace the wire through the door sill to the front switch.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I am having the same issue but the passenger side. Mine tries to open but wont. It just moves a little. I do not have an aftermarket setup, mine is factory. Mine is an 01 F250.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Fence Guy
I am having the same issue but the passenger side. Mine tries to open but wont. It just moves a little. I do not have an aftermarket setup, mine is factory. Mine is an 01 F250.
The actuator is probably bad. When I got my F250, I had to repair both of them.

Quick Reply: electrical problem only door locks