Starter wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter wires

im trying to make a push to start button on my 99' f250 superduty
was wondering what wires i need to cut and wire to my button.
Oh and what gauge wire? think 14 is strong enuff?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I am recalling correctly, the 1999 F-250 is the same as the F-150 ( I know 97 & 98 were, not 100% sure on the 1999 ).

This is the starting system diagram for the 1999 F-150.

The Dark Blue w/ Orange Stripe wire is what is prior to the DTR ( Digital Transmission Range Sensor ) that you would splice the momentary button into. This makes sure you cannot start the truck without it being in Park or Neutral.

Just keep in mind this is a "I think it is the same", not a 100% sure, so YMMV.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 PM
so im hooking them up to another button starter, which 2 wires do i splice into like the 2 colors?
it is 2 wires right?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 PM
ok so i found this site... would this be it??????

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1999-for...-wiring-chart/
----------------------------------------------------------------
and if so would it be these 2??????

Vehicle Ignition Wire (+): Red/Black
Vehicle Ignition Wire Location: Ignition Switch Harness

Vehicle Second Ignition Wire (+): Gray/Yellow
Vehicle Second Ignition Wire Location: N/A

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
See schematic above. It has all the information needed.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 AM

If the diagram is the same ( have not had time to check ), you should find the Dark Blue w/ Orange Stripe wire prior to the DTR & you are going to use a hot in run position wire ( that is any hot in run, this is a low AMP draw application ).

Took a look at the URL above, considering I have not verified the diagram, those could be the correct wires..
You want the circuit that runs through the CPP to the DTR heading to the starter motor relay on one side of the push button, and a hot in run on the other side.

This way the button only works with the key in the run position, and will only work if the truck is in park or neutral.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Both the F250 LD and SD have the same starter circuit as the F150. The above applies just fine.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Both the F250 LD and SD have the same starter circuit as the F150. The above applies just fine.
You broke me on mis using info from 1 MY to another, so I am more cautious on same MY to different line.
The changes in the SuperDuty line happened at different times than the F-150 after 1998, so I like to point that out.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:42 PM
so im trying to make a push start and i can even read that diagram and couldn't tell what all it is. i need to know what wire is hot when i turn the key to the on position which should be the one i splice into and wire to 1 side of button, then the other wire thats hot when i turn the truck over to start it which should be the one that i cut and hook to the other side of the button...

so i think if im right...?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by hunter3014
so im trying to make a push start and i can even read that diagram and couldn't tell what all it is. ...<snip>....
You might be able to "read" the diagram above, but you cannot understand it. 2 different things... It shows the wires to the starter motor relay, as well as post #2 in the thread.........

...<snip>....i need to know what wire is hot when i turn the key to the on position which should be the one i splice into and wire to 1 side of button, then the other wire thats hot when i turn the truck over to start it which should be the one that i cut and hook to the other side of the button...

so i think if im right...?
Read post #2, it tells you which is the wire to the starter motor relay. What part of that is not clear ?

For the hot in run position, you can use an add-a-fuse in the cab fuse panel position # 29. This should be a 5 A fuse.

No need to cut the wire, unless you really do not want it to work with the key...

Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
yeah but ill have to cut the wire to the starter right cause if i just splice into it ill have to turn the key over and thin hit the button. i just wanna have to have the key in and instead of turning it over i wanna hit the button.?

And yes i dont know how to read that diagram.. im not very good with all this wiring stuff lol, still new to all that considering im only 17
and its hard to decide of to wire it cause iv have alot of different ways that others did it and i just dont wanna do something wrong to where i can start my truck at all lol
thats why im trying to get it 100% right before i go cutting my wires.

Last edited by hunter3014; 11-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM

yeah but ill have to cut the wire to the starter right cause if i just splice into it ill have to turn the key over and thin hit the button. i just wanna have to have the key in and instead of turning it over i wanna hit the button.?...<snip>....
You will need to turn the key to the run position either way, else the truck will not start. If you splice in, you turn the key to the run position, and hit the button or you can also turn the key to the start position. Both methods would make the truck start.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You will need to turn the key to the run position either way, else the truck will not start. If you splice in, you turn the key to the run position, and hit the button or you can also turn the key to the start position. Both methods would make the truck start.
right but i need 2 wires to my button, one of which makes it so the key must be to the run position which ill splice into and the second one which is wired to the actual start where you turn the key over and connects to the starter to start the truck. this wire ill cut so that i disable the regular way of starting it and then ill wire it back to my button so the button is the only way to start it... that is if the key is in the ignition.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM

right but i need 2 wires to my button, one of which makes it so the key must be to the run position which ill splice into and the second one which is wired to the actual start where you turn the key over and connects to the starter to start the truck. this wire ill cut so that i disable the regular way of starting it and then ill wire it back to my button so the button is the only way to start it... that is if the key is in the ignition.
Read the posts above :

Hot in Run side of the switch :
For the hot in run position, you can use an add-a-fuse in the cab fuse panel position # 29. This should be a 5 A fuse.
To the starter :
Dark Blue w/ Orange Stripe wire prior to the DTR
If you really feel like cutting a wire, that would be the Dark Blue w/ Orange Stripe wire. This is not required, and is really a bad idea to do, in case you have an issue with the button.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
huuum... yeah maybe your right.. and yeah i forgot some1 said to use a fuse for one of the wires to connect to the button. as far as that goes tho, wouldn't that mean you could start it without the key?

Quick Reply: Starter wires