Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford f-150 5.4L
How to adjust headlights?

I have a 2001 f150 and I am trying to aim my headlights up and down and left to right w/e is needed to correct the light output and adjust the beams. I know how to get the lights out but are the little 3 screws with like black round things on them to adjust the lights or what?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You have correctly identified the three adjusting screws in the back of each headlight housing. The official way of adjusting any of them is to buy the special tool from your friendly, local Snap-On or Mac guy that looks like a long handled Gear Wrench. It turns the shaft on the adjusters in or out to re-aim the headlight housings.

Lights Behind the Grill 2004-2008:http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...ind-grill.html

Lights Behind the Grill 2009-2011:http://www.f150online.com/forums/ill...11-trucks.html
Old 11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford f-150 5.4L
Cant you use a pair of pliers or such or anything laying around the garage would work?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by king ranch View Post
Cant you use a pair of pliers or such or anything laying around the garage would work?
You might be able to, but I think you'll find it a royal PITA due to how far down the adjusters are behine the headlight in front of the core support.

Here's an alternate method I used once. Figure out which adjuster needs to go which way to get the headlight pointed where you want. Then remove the housing by using the two release levers shown in your Owner's Manual. Once the housing is out, grab the end of the adjuster in question with a small pair of Vise Grips to prevent it from turning. Then turn the plastic piece on the adjuster in the appropriate direction. Next, make sure you line the adjusters up properly before re-installing the housing. Check for aim and re-do as needed. It takes more time, but if you don't have the proper tool, it works.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:51 PM
1999 Ford F-250

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F250
on my 99 f250 superduty, there are 2 screws and you just turn each of them and the move left and right and up and down. and mine are regular bolts.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter3014 View Post
on my 99 f250 superduty, there are 2 screws and you just turn each of them and the move left and right and up and down. and mine are regular bolts.
That's a whole different truck and body style with entirely different adjusters.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
1999 Ford F-250

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
That's a whole different truck and body style with entirely different adjusters.
right.. which is why i said on my 99' f250
oh and it was same on my buds suv
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM