interior lights come on when brake pressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior lights come on when brake pressed

Having an odd electrical problem(s) with my 2007 F150 XLT QuadCab... when i press the brake peddle, the interior lights come on. As well, I have no rear lights (running, brake, or reverse). The blinker switch seems to now operate everything inside the cab, but no actual blinker signal outside the cab. Also the electric door locks act like they're barely getting any power and i have to lock/unlock manually.

I've pulled the following codes: P0600, P1000, P2100, P2105, U0300.

I know the P2100/2105 have to do with the throttle activator, but i haven't expreienced any actual issues with the throttle. The truck runs and starts fine. Any advice???
Thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When was the last time the battery was disconnected ?

P1000 indicates that the tests have not completed, which means 2 drive cycles have not been done ( < 30 min of driving over 47 MPH, with some other rqmts ).

If you have not disconnected the battery, this could be a sign a battery issue.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, yesterday i disconnected the battery as well as clearing all the codes. I was getting a reading of 12.15v on my battery yesterday, but had it load tested today (and was reg 12.54v) and everything with the battery checked out fine.

As well, the problem has dissapeared once for about five minutes, but restarted after that. I've also noticed a loud(ish) click coming from the fuse box when i hit the brakes & intermittantly a click from near the brake pedel itself when pressed.

Any new ideas? Thx

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mfeichter
Yes, yesterday i disconnected the battery as well as clearing all the codes. I was getting a reading of 12.15v on my battery yesterday, but had it load tested today (and was reg 12.54v) and everything with the battery checked out fine.

...<snip>....
That is not fine. That is a low battery.
If after sitting it is reading 12.15 VDC, it is gone ( that is a battery less than 50% charged ).
Don't know who load tested it, but 12.54 is not fine.

Sulfation of Batteries starts when voltage measures less than 12.4 for a 12v battery ( or the Specific gravity is low, but this is a sealed battery - hard to test without damage ).
So with the battery at 12.15 VDC, sulfation has already started ( or been on going ) which is going to impact the ability for it to be recharged.

That battery has been too low to try recovering it, and using it in your truck can lead to alternator damage ( alternator is for changing a low battery, not a very low or dead battery ).

Start with a good battery ( tested good, voltage higher than 12.6 V after being fully charged and sitting over night ).

Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
grrrrr... Never shoulda trusted Advanced Auto. Will try a new battery and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mfeichter
..<snip>... Never shoulda trusted Advanced Auto. Will try a new battery and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
I generally give this advice, as the advance auto / autozone guys are not trained in auto repair, only auto parts sales. You can find guys that know what they are doing these days ( lost job at a shop, and this is all they could get ), but you have no way of knowing if the guy has been there for 9 months or 9 years...

Check the battery prior to installing it.
If it is low, give it a charge and check it once finished charging. Record that reading. Let it sit 1 hour, check again, if you can let it sit overnight and check again. Should be within 0.2 or so ( new battery might need a good long trickle charge to bring fully up to charge )

Quick Reply: interior lights come on when brake pressed