help - airbag light on after switch install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help - airbag light on after switch install

First, thanks so good technical articles here, I was able to quickly remove my trim around the radio. I installed a momentary switch in the extra space around my cigarette lighter, and wired it to my garage door opener. I hid the opener in the space back there. So now I just have to push the button (no more opening my overhead sunglasses case to get to it and no clipping it on my visor). Pretty cool.

BUT - as you all know better than me, I had to disconnect the passenger side airbag light switch at the top to pull the panel back. Now that I have reassembled everything, the service airbag light is on on my dash. Could I get this if I didn't plug that in well (which i swear I did)? Could I have blown a fuse and get this (I know, I need to check, but reaching out since I can't check immediately)?

Help please! Thanks in advance. I have a 2004 FX4 F-150 SuperCrew.

BTW - I just went out and counted the flashes. When I put in the key and turn to run (do not start) - I get one flash, then pause, then eight flashes. This repeats over and over.

Last edited by conway; 11-15-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: new info
Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the confirm of the LFC ( light Flash Code ) 18.

Sorry, but either you did not plug the PAD ( Passenger Air Bag Deactivation ) indicator lamp back in, or you broke the wires to it.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks! I hope I didn't break the light. I was very careful.

BTW - how do you know to look at code 18 when you get 1 flash then 8 flashes and this continues to repeat?

Also, is there any way that I might have blown a fuse (since I stupidly didn't disconnect the battery when I unplugged this stuff)? If so, is there a way to know exactly which fuse to check?

I do thank you for your help!

Last edited by conway; 11-15-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: another question
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

That is what the LFC sequence is telling you 1-8, which is LFC 18. If it was another problem, the LFC would be different.

It is not a fuse, the only other LFC 18 is the PAD is shorted to battery, which means it would always be on.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
That makes sense. I feel stupid. I appreciate your non-condescending help very much.

Makes sense looking at your code sheet - I would hate to sit there and count 53 flashes.

I will give it a look tonight.

Last edited by conway; 11-15-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by conway
That makes sense. I feel stupid. I appreciate your non-condescending help very much.

Makes sense looking at your code sheet - I would hate to sit there and count 53 flashes.

I will give it a look tonight.
Don't thank anyone until it is fixed, right now this is all supposition / SWAG.

Actually counting a LFC 53 is slightly quicker than a LFC 18.
LFC 18 is counting 9 flashes ( 1 then 8 )
LFC 53 is counting 8 flashes ( 5 then 3 )

The longest LFC to count is 49, which is 13 flashes ( 4 then 9 ).

It is counter intuitive, when you think low number to high number, counting a LFC 16 takes the same amount of time as a LFC 52, which are both shorter than a LFC 18.
Have to think in terms of the numbers as single digits put together, not actual counting ( that is why they did them as 2 digit LFC, the LFC 53 a person would loose track of... )

Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM
All is good! I took the panel back off and noticed that the airbag light was snuggly plugged in but the tiny prongs that make contact were riding on top of the plastic female part. I plugged it back in properly and all is good.

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Thank you for the feed back, the next member with the same problem will thank you for the confirmation.

Glad to hear all is good with it.

Quick Reply: help - airbag light on after switch install