My Truck won't start (nothing) I need help bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My Truck won't start (nothing) I need help bad!!!

Hi, This is my first post on this board, and I really hope you guys can shed some light on this problem of mine. I hope I put this in the correct board.

The truck is a 1984 Bronco II, and it has a 6 cylinder with a carb (no computer). The last time I drove the truck everything was fine. It started right up with no problems. I come back to the truck approx. 2 weeks later and turn the key and nothing happens. Ok, first I checked the battery and that was good, so thats not the problem. When you turn the key the buzzer sounds, but when the key is turned all the way foward, I get absolutly nothing not even a click. I had a few ignition switches laying around and tried them, nothing again. Next I went to the part that is in between the battery and the starter, the silinoid I think. On the battery side it has power, on the starter side even with the key in the run position, I get no power. I went over to my F-150 and put the key in the run position and on the starter side there wasn't power either, but that truck starts fine. So this is where I am at. I have no clue what is wrong or what to look for. I am beside myself because I just drove the thing and it worked great, then I park it come back and nothing. Somebody please help me, I am desperate.
Thanks for listening

Dave

Old 05-26-2001, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Welcome to f150online!! Sorry to hear the situation that brought you here,though. I have had this happen to me before a few times on different vehicles. The first thing I would try is checking the battery connections for a black oily looking substance. Not sure what causes it to form,but I've found that to be the culprit more than a few times. Even if they look clean on the outside,undo them and clean them with a terminal brush. The next thing that could do it is corrosion inside the battery cables under the insulation. It does happen,and is another cause possibly. If the cables are good,with no corrosion,then comes the funniest solution. It has worked for me time after time. Grab yourself an average size hammer,and whack the starter four or five times Believe me,it works,lol.
Sometimes if an older vehicle is left sitting for a week or more the starter sticks on them. I have to do this every time I start my fiances 82 RX-7,,,we live on the road.......Good luck,and give a yell if none of these solutions works. I'm sure someone else will have something to try,if they don't,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT 4x2 Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
Yep,it has alot of stuff installed on it,I just got sick of lugging that huge sig. around,hehe
Come and see my newest pictures@ www.my-f150.com

Everything is shown there,except for the Superchip,Thanks Mike T!!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Now,if it only looked like this in real life

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 05-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 05-26-2001).]

Old 05-26-2001, 01:42 PM
since you have a voltage tester, check the battery post on the solenoid with the key turned to start. if the voltage goes away, you have a bad battery or ground cable. if the voltage stays, check the little terminal on the solenoid with the key on start. if there is voltage there check the other big trminal on the solenoid with the key on start. if there is no voltage, you have a bad solenoid-if there is voltage you have a bad starter or cable.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-Airraid-Perma-cool electric fan & controller

Old 05-26-2001, 06:38 PM
Cool

I agree with redlariat. Sounds like the solenoid is bad or the cable going to the starter. Could be a dead spot on the starter. When you turn the key to the start position do you here a click from the solenoid? If so it's either the starter or the starter cable. If not it's the solenoid or one of the wires going to the solenoid.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L Reg. Cab 3.55

Performance Enhancemets:
K&N
WMS Velocity Tube
Gibson Sweptside

Audio Enhancements:
All of the above, plus
Sony C7000X HU
Cerwin-Vega SS2502 components(Front)
Blaupunkt PCxp573s(Rear)

Radio-delay mod

Other Enhancements:
Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover
Keyless Entry Keypad
Eurolite Xenon Fusion Bulbs - Headlights and Fogs

Old 05-26-2001, 06:52 PM
HappyGilmore- Like 98Screamer said, take a hammer and wack the starter a few times. This has worked for me before when the same thing as you just said happened to me. If it doesent work when you wack it and get in the truck to start it, get a buddy and have him wack the starter (so he can do the dirty work) while you just turn the key to try and start it. Hopefully that will work. If that gets the car running, even though it may work a few times you probally should get a new starter because it will happen again.

Good luck

Brian

------------------
98 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4
4.6L V8 3.55LS
Tonno Cover, Brush Guard, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie Horn, 2 150 watt KC Daylighters, Cobra CB Radio, BF Goodrich All Terrains 265/75/16
http://hometown.aol.com/barto24/brianstruck.html
--------------------------
2000 Excursion Limited 4X4, Black, V-10, 3.73 LS, Tow Mirrors

Old 05-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Hi Gilmore. Didnt use Happy, cause you might not be or are you? Did you fix it?

All good posts here. Even taking hammer to starter. Yeah, i did that once, but starter was sticking, so whacking it made it engage, but did replace it eventually.

You didnt mention what type of ignition system on that Bronco. If it has the electronic ign. box,(usually mounted to firewall/alumn. with heat fins, if i remember right. if it goes bad, no matter what you do, if that box is bad, it want start.

This may not apply to your vehicle. In 77 Ford used ign.box on the big 300 6cyl. Of course over the years changes have been made to the ign. systems.

Cant think of anything else, just recheck what you've already done?

Maybe you could post what the problem was?

Good luck. OT

Old 05-26-2001, 09:58 PM
Wow, Thank you guys for responding so quickly. This truly is an amazing board. I will go out tommorow and try all things mentioned tonight. Man, I am so glad I found this place, you guys are great.

Thanks again

Old 05-27-2001, 02:04 PM
Ok Guys, What I did was turn the key to the run position, then I went to the solinoid and took a screwdriver and jumped the big terminal that connects to the positive battery cable with the small terminal on the solinoid, and the truck turned over. Ok, well at least it is turning over, so now what do I do? Does this mean my solinoid is bad and needs to be replaced? I still get nothing when I turn the key inside the truck.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-27-2001, 03:19 PM
Happy
it's probably the neutral safety switch if it't automatic or the clutch safety switch if it's manuel. sounds like the solenoid, cables, & starter are OK and you already tried the starter switch.

Old 05-27-2001, 03:39 PM
Happy,

After that little check you did, I would definitely assume that it is a bad solenoid. You can still start your truck with a bad solenoid, though, to get you through the next day or two till you can find another.
Just turn your key to the on position, and jump the posts on the solenoid. Truck should start, and will function normally until you want to start it again.
The way the solenoid works is that you have battery positive going to one terminal (unless it is a positive ground system which is usually only found in import vehicles) and the other terminal will be going to the starter. The little terminal with the small wire coming off of it goes to your ignition switch. When you turn the key, the solenoid is activated (which is like a big electromagnet that acts like a plunger) and makes the connection between the battery positive and the starter, therefore engaging the starter.
You could also try tapping the solenoid with the handle end of a screwdriver, and then try to start it. Sometimes in their old age they tend to get stuck.
I have an 85 Mustang GT that I changed the solenoid in it 3 times in a week! (They are readily available from any wrecker). You should also be able to use a solenoid from any mid 80's Ford vehicle without the electronic ignition.
Hope this helps, good luck!

------------------
1998 Black F-150 XLT Ext. 4x4 Off-Road Package -- "Hannibal"
Current Mods:
-Pace Edwards Roll Top
-Box Liner
-Tinted all around
-Pioneer 4100 CD Deck w/remote
-Kenwood 400W Amp
-Phoenix Gold 5x7's
-JL Audio Stealth Box
-2 Phoenix Gold 8" Subs
-K&N Filter
-DeeZee Stainless Steel Brush Guard
-DeeZee Stainless Steel Tube Steps
Check it out: http://www.f150world.com/jeffstruck
1998 Silver Frost Contour LX V6 "Full Load"
1985 Mustang GT w/T-Tops "The Fun Machine"

Old 05-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Cool

Yep, new solenoid from your local car parts store. Shouldn't cost you more than 10 or 15 bucks.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L Reg. Cab 3.55

Performance Enhancemets:
K&N
WMS Velocity Tube
Gibson Sweptside

Audio Enhancements:
All of the above, plus
Sony C7000X HU
Cerwin-Vega SS2502 components(Front)
Blaupunkt PCxp573s(Rear)

Radio-delay mod

Other Enhancements:
Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover
Keyless Entry Keypad
Eurolite Xenon Fusion Bulbs - Headlights and Fogs

Old 05-27-2001, 11:34 PM
take it to a mechanic before you spend alot of money and time

Old 05-28-2001, 03:53 AM
I would go with redlariet on this one. Try jiggling your shifter in Park and trying it again. If that doesn't work, then try it with the shifter in Neutral and jiggle it again while you turn the key.

Old 05-28-2001, 11:29 AM
Thumbs up

Update:

Well, I go out to the truck this morning and jiggle the shifter around with it in the park position and turn the key and still nothing happens, so I put the shifter into neutral and try again, and what do you know, it starts . So then I turn the truck back off and put it into the park position again and this time it starts with the shifter in the park position. I am very pleased that my truck is starting again, but is this my neutral safty switch that is acting up? At this point I haven't replaced anything so I don't know where to go from here. This truck is not my daily driver so it does sit up for quite some time in between the times I drive it. Could this prolonged sitting cause these problems?

Thanks for all the wonderful help and ideas so far.

Old 05-28-2001, 04:02 PM
I think you found your problem. Might just be sticky and needs a shot of contact cleaner, replace it, or just live with it. Running the shifter thru neutral several times may be enough to clear whatever caused the problem.

Hard to say if prolonged sitting is the cause of your problem, but it does happen to daily drivers too.

BTW, welcome to the board. Glad we could help you figure out your problem.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 05-28-2001).]

Quick Reply: My Truck won't start (nothing) I need help bad!!!