Fuse 5 Blows When shift to reverse. V8 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks SSCULLY. I will give it a shot this weekend. If I do find a short at the point where the DTRS plugs in, that means the short is somewhere between the the tranny and the rear, correct? If I do not find a short, are the same color wires running from the dash to another point? I'm asking so that I can check for a short there also.

Yes, this is the same truck. I took the bed off looking for any pinched wires when this bug first occured. About 5 months ago, my brother and I removed the bed to put a lowering shackle kit on so I was making sure that nothing was pinched and was causing the backup fuse to blow.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you unplug the DTR Sensor, and can put the truck in reverse without issue, the problem points to the DTR Sensor connector, the DTR Sensor itself, or the wiring going to the back of the truck.

With a good fuse installed, unplug the DTR and jumper the Light Blue w/ Pink stripe wire to the Black w/ Pink stripe wire.
The reverse lamps should illuminate ( or the fuse will blow ).

This is a quick test removing the DTR from the circuit

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
The DTR sensor was my next move after removing the bed. I replaced it a month or so ago and the fuse still blows. So that leaves the connector and the wiring going back. I will try to jump the connector and sensor. If the fuse doesn't blow, that will tell me that it's the connector (since i've already replaced the sensor). If it does blow, that points to the wires leading to the rear. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I didn't get a chance to jump the connector this weekend. Got caught up with changing the blend door motor. Here is something that I need to mention (as crazy as it sounds). I've noticed that if I disconnect and re-connect any accessory (back up lights, DTRS, blend door) that's on the #5 fuse circuit, the fuse will NOT blow for at least a day after that accessory is re-connected. After that short period is up, it starts back blowing again. Like I said, it sounds crazy, but since I've taken notice of it, I figured that it was worth mentioning. It happened after changing out the blend door motor. After I replaced it, I went all day yesterday and up until this morning before the fuse blew.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Still poppin em. I've tested the wires at the DTR sensor and all is good. Following the reverse lights wiring diagram, there are only two things that i have not touched that's in the series.....the central security module and the anti-theft security or RAP module. I don't know where these two items are so that I can unplug and eliminate them from the series. Any help on locating these would be great.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you jumper the wires at the DTR ?

What did you do to test the wires at the DTR ?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does your truck have a remote start? Aftermarket alarm?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Same problem with std tranny

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Did you jumper the wires at the DTR ?

What did you do to test the wires at the DTR ?
I have the same problem with my standard tranny 2001 regular cab v-6 truck. I haven't really played with it and now I am trying to solve it because I want the a/c back on (when fuse blows - no a/c!). I am wondering if a solution of the cause was ever found.

Quick Reply: Fuse 5 Blows When shift to reverse. V8 5.4