04 5.4 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4 electrical issues

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the following novel!

My truck has 74k miles and has never given me any problems. Monday afternoon I was waiting on someone to do an estimate and let the truck idle with the ac on full blast(100 D that day) for about 30min. Turned the truck off and did the walk around and tried to start the truck about 45 min later. The battery was completely dead. Lots of corrosion around the neg terminal on the battery. Called a buddy to get a jump and the battery never charged enough to fire. Changed out the battery and would fire and run but would cut off intermittently only when stopped at a low idle. The alternator was shot so I changed that out today and am still having problems although it is less frequent. The truck will fire up just fine and while I am going down the road the battery indicator will come on and when I come to a stop it may stay on just fine or it may cut off. Advance auto tester says nothing is wrong with the voltage(even when battery indicator is on) also no check engine indicator. The guy hooked up the scanner anyway and is does not show any codes. I just cleaned the MAF and took out the relay for the trailer break system I installed 2 months ago and still same issues. Any ideas before I drop it off at the dealer?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
What brand of alternator did you buy? Also, how is the wiring and terminals leading to the battery? The may have corroded.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
It was a Driveworks brand alternator. I will do some more research on it. The cables seem fine from what I can see. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You changed out the battery, to what battery (new or a different used battery ) ?

How did you get to the alternator was shot ?

Did you make sure the battery was correctly charged prior to installing ( the alternator will not charge a dead battery ).

Sounds like you have an issue with the battery that is in there, but it could be from the battery being dead, and trying to charge it with the truck.

Did you have either battery or the alternator load tested ?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I searched some other threads and found one that scully put out on the low idle and some other simple suggestions like are you sure that Advance Auto gave you the right alternator. Well bingo that was it. Although the first alternator fit right in place it was not correct. The only bright spot is that after talking with the manager about my time wasted I got a $200 alternator for $120. I am still trying to decide if $80+ was worth my sanity over the last couple days. Thanks again for the responses!

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 electrical issues