Trailer plug issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Trailer plug issues

A friend of ours bought a new (to her) horse trailer and had some dim wit change the plug on her truck to a 7 pin. It works with her old trailer but blows the fuse for the brake lights/park lock on the shifter.

My question is what are the correct pin locations on the recepticle on the truck. Is there a diagram available here?

Truck is a 95 f-250
Auto trans
460 motor
XLT reg cab

I've got it shifting out of park now by replacing the fuse but don't want her to have trouble with the trailer when she hooks it up. Also she has a new brake controller-installed by the same monkey I think. Anything else I need to go over to see if it's wired right?

Thanks guys in advance.
Jim

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Trailer plug

I finally figured out how to post my drawing!
When you look into the plug on the truck this is what I have, I assume the positions I labeled 5 & 6 are for the trailer brakes.

Does this look like the standard hook up, I want to see if the issue is in the truck wiring or the trailer.

Thanks
Jim

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Google "7-pin trailer connector"

Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the color drawing that matches the Factory plug ( on the 97 + MY trucks )

What does
It works with her old trailer but blows the fuse for the brake lights/park lock on the shifter.
Is the old trailer a 4 pin or 7 pin ?

If the old trailer is a 7 pin, I guess there is no way to know if it worked before ( didn't have the 7 pin ).

Does the fuse blow when you plug the trailer in, or is it only when you put on the brakes ?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I never saw the old trailer plug, she told me it was a 5 pin. The guy changed the plug on the old trailer for her. She towed it home parked it then couldn't get the truck out of park, so I think it popped the fuse with the brakes. I replaced the fuse and all is fine with the truck.

I wanted to be sure the wiring was correct on the truck before she moved her horses to her new place about 300 miles away. From what you gave me I think the truck is right but will double check it.

On your picture the one marked brake is for the brake controller not brake lights, correct? It's the one mafked #5 in my cheesey drawing.

She had some body else tow the new trailer home with a different truck, and they had no issues, so I feel safe the new trailer is good to go.

Thank you Sscully the picture is exactally what I needed.
Jim

Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
#3 Today, 05:00 AM
projectSHO89
Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 5.4

Google "7-pin trailer connector"
You are right! I got so zeroed in on trying to fix the thing I didn't even think about that, DUH!:o

Sscully gave the info I needed, Next time I'll try to remember google.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jgger
I...<snip>.....
On your picture the one marked brake is for the brake controller not brake lights, correct? It's the one mafked #5 in my cheesey drawing.
...<snip>.....
YEs, that is the brake controller to the brakes.

Left Turn & Turn Turn are actually Left stop / Turn & Right Stop / turn circuits.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Use a DVOM to measure the resistance from the Electric Brake terminal to the Ground terminal in the trailer connector.

On the truck side check the voltage of the two same wires with and without the brakes applied.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 AM
YEs, that is the brake controller to the brakes.

Left Turn & Turn Turn are actually Left stop / Turn & Right Stop / turn circuits.
That's what I thought.

Thanks again
Jim

Quick Reply: Trailer plug issues