Dash & Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash & Brake light

The "brake" light on the left side of my dash does not work and the left side of speedo cluster is dim. I am thinking I have to pull the whole cluster out to fix. Would this be right or is there some obvious fix I am missing? The brake light does not work with the brake on or off, no light at all.

------------------

Old 05-06-2001, 09:31 PM
If the whole side of the cluster is dim it is probally a burnt out bulb. i have one burnt out on the left side of the tach. I dont know how to fix it, althought it is probally easy, i dont want to pull the cluster out without knowing what im doing. I know someone on here knows how...right???

------------------
98 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4
4.6L V8 3.55LS
Tonno Cover, Brush Guard, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie Horn, 2 150 watt KC Daylighters, Cobra CB Radio, BF Goodrich All Terrains 265/75/16
http://hometown.aol.com/barto24/brianstruck.html
--------------------------
2000 Excursion Limited 4X4, Black, V-10, 3.73 LS, Tow Mirrors

Old 05-06-2001, 09:54 PM
I am hoping so. I have the Haynes manual and it looks pretty complicated. I checked the fuses and could not find any that were blown. I was hoping for a clever fix or a recommendation as to how to get started.
My truck just had Mobil 1 Synthetic put in tranny (5spd) and what a difference! I am going to be switching all fluids to Mobil1.

------------------
97' F-150 XLT 4x4 4.6L
K&N FIPK Plastic Bedliner

Old 05-09-2001, 03:19 AM
From what I have read in my Haynes book and from preivous trucks there is no real easy way around it. Check your fuses to make sure, if it's not them, prepare to take out half your dash and instrument cluster to get those new bulbs in there.
I did hear once about some guy who laid a small flashlight on his instrument cluster and used it as is guage lighting. Easiest fix I know of...

Old 05-09-2001, 06:33 PM
Well this wouldnt help my problem, but i heard of a guy that worked at a shop and to fix the annoying "idiot lights" on the instrument panel he used a long and small drill bit to drill a hole in the panel till he hit the light and put it out. He said, there you go...its all fixed now. Think his name was bubba.

Quick Reply: Dash & Brake light