aftermarket cruise control vs swapping entire steering wheel w/cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket cruise control vs swapping entire steering wheel w/cruise

It has recently been pointed out to me that for almost the same price as buying ford's cruise control system, I could swap out the entire steering wheel with one that has it already.

I went into a dealership and asked the service center if they could put in cruise for me. They said yeah, but it wouldn't even be ford's cruise control. They just send it to another shop to install a different make for this request. I am not interested in having some tack-on control when I have the button placeholders for this in my wheel. I want it to operate as it would have had it come installed from the factory.

I've been without for three years now, still miss it though. '05 f150 xl "work" package.

Thoughts?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That dealership sounds retarded. Read this page. Obviously, some of the PNs will be different for a truck, but the idea is the same. If you have throttle-by-wire, it's even easier: get the cruise steering wheel; have a DECENT dealer activate the cruise in the PCM.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by leon2245
It has recently been pointed out to me that for almost the same price as buying ford's cruise control system, I could swap out the entire steering wheel with one that has it already.

I went into a dealership and asked the service center if they could put in cruise for me. They said yeah, but it wouldn't even be ford's cruise control. They just send it to another shop to install a different make for this request. I am not interested in having some tack-on control when I have the button placeholders for this in my wheel. I want it to operate as it would have had it come installed from the factory.

I've been without for three years now, still miss it though. '05 f150 xl "work" package.

Thoughts?
All, let me repeat that, ALL that you need on the 2005-2007 (NBS) F150 is the switches and have the dealership TURN the cruise on with their scan tool. (they'll rape you for $100 for that 10 minute job)

Buy the switches at the parts counter.
Pull the battery cables.
Remove airbag.
unplug wires
Remove blanks
install switches, plug in the wires from switches secure wires now not connected.
reinstall in reverse order.

There isn't an aftermarket cruise that will fit that truck.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:29 AM
ALL that you need on the 2005-2007 (NBS) F150 is the switches
OK, thanks. I've seen two different year brackets- 98-06 and 04-07. Mine's caught in both.

How much of these VINs are standard prefix (that's the same on all f150's)? Because I found this switch for $80, but specified for "W" VINs- I have a W in my VIN, but not the first character.

Otherwise for '04-'07, this one on ebay is $150.

Guess I'll head to a (different) dealership and find out what the part number should be exactly. If I can get that switch for $80, that'd soften the $100 burn for just turning it on.

Last edited by leon2245; 07-22-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That refers to the 8th digit of the VIN - not the 1st.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 AM
Yep that's exactly where the W was- 8th place. According to your link it designates engine.

So I'll check with the dealership tomorrow. If their price is close, I'll just buy the part from them instead when I get them to install/activate.

THanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm 0 for 2 on dealerships. One guy said "we don't install accessories". So I said "well if I installed the switch myself, assuming it works like I think it works, will you at least activate the cruise control," and no one had any idea WTF I was talking about. It's not like I can convince them to do something they don't even know can be done.

Then one said "we have the part ($100), but you'll need more than that..." (then goes on to tell me about servos and vacuum lines). Of course they had a $179 kit that would include everything I need.

All I can tell that's different b/t the "kit' from ebay and the "switch" from auto parts wholesale is wires/connections. Not like it matters if I can't find a dealership that knows what's up. Guess I'll just start calling them until I do. Someone in houston must know.

cruise control kit $150

cruise control switch $80

Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
this is getting hilarious.

Dealership #3 (AC Collins Ford)- $695 plus tax for parts, plus $140 to "flash" it. He insisted he had the book in front of him, and it involves more than just switches in the wheel, and takes several hours- wiring to the carburetor and "PCM".

#4 (Reliance) they don't mess with it, they send it to radio sales and service to have a non ford cruise installed (with a wand) for $450.

McRee ford is supposed to call me back.

Anyone know somewhere in houston I can get this done? So far these dealerships are just trying to scam.

Last edited by leon2245; 07-24-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 AM
(then goes on to tell me about servos and vacuum lines).

Weeel you do and you don't.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by FMullegun
Weeel you do and you don't.
What does this even mean?

Anyways, McRee came through- $89 for cc switches, $12 for brake disconnect, and $96 to flash. Much better than $900!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Suspended
**** i got my switches for 35 dollars from a C.A.R center (Certified Automotive Reclaimer) and there OEM so thats a hell of a steal. but if u go this route make sure you ask for the cables too or the'll just give you the switches. happened to me

Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Smile Referred to the Haynes Manual

Originally Posted by zziggy
All, let me repeat that, ALL that you need on the 2005-2007 (NBS) F150 is the switches and have the dealership TURN the cruise on with their scan tool. (they'll rape you for $100 for that 10 minute job)

Pull the battery cables.
Remove airbag.
unplug wires
Remove blanks
install switches, plug in the wires from switches secure wires now not connected.

I have the 4.2L V6 in an '06, but would like cruise control as I have been doing some long distance driving up and down the East Coast. I referenced this in the Haynes manual, and it says the following:

"There are no conventional cruise control systems on these vehicles. The cruise control system is an integral subsystem of the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system. If the cruise control system isn't functioning correctly, take the vehicle to a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop for diagnosis."

I have seen the OEM kit for sale for about $120 online, but are there other options? $230 seems a bit steep for what seems like a DIY job.

Last edited by jmizzle; 12-21-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Content repeated
Old 07-15-2015, 06:33 PM
2006 f150

Originally Posted by Fordtruckman88
**** i got my switches for 35 dollars from a C.A.R center (Certified Automotive Reclaimer) and there OEM so thats a hell of a steal. but if u go this route make sure you ask for the cables too or the'll just give you the switches. happened to me
I need cruise controls switches for my 06 f150, where is a car center in tx ?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Pull the battery cables.
Remove airbag.
unplug wires
Remove blanks

I am glad I found your post ! I was a ford parts guy for 20 year when they did have dlr installed cruise . A mechanic aty work who was supposedly a ford service manager told me ? I need a new steering wheel and s clock spring to get cruise on my 06 f150. After reading your post ! I don't think he knows all he thinks he does. I have a steering wheel with cruise controls blanks , obviously I decide to take your instructions n do it myself , then go to dlr n pay $ 100 for them to scan tool cruise. . Thnks

Old 07-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Cruise control

Pull the battery cables.
Remove airbag.
unplug wires
Remove blanks

Glad I found your post ! I'll be installing my own cruise after I find the switches for my Trk . It's a basic f150 4.2 5 spd. If I run into any problems you'll be the first I asked . Thnx

Quick Reply: aftermarket cruise control vs swapping entire steering wheel w/cruise