alt/battery help 2000 f150

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question alt/battery help 2000 f150

hello, battery light came on,checked volts on battery got 11.5, did test at idle got a lower reading,test at 1500rpm with lights and fan on voltage dropped more. had alt tested at auto parts store.tested ok. checked wires from alt to solenoid with multimeter, checked ok,checked wire from solenoid to battery pos , ok, fuse in pwr dist box is ok. any suggestions what to try next,thinking about having alt checked at different place. battery is 6mo old so i dont think its bad, all suggestions will be appreciated. doug

Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you check the fuse for the alternator fuse, and see if the alternator field connector was corroded or damaged ?

Thread on the connector, your MY the fuse is in the fuse panel

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...nator-why.html

Also, don't know if your battery will come back from this abuse, you might need to replace it.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
thanks sscully, i pulled the cover off of the fuseable link and its 2 smaller gauge wires,one of the wires feels like 10 ga,the other is really flexable like a lot lighter ga wire,idont know much about fuseable links. is this how they are or should both wires be the same. could that be the problem with low battery voltage . thanks doug

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM

Did you check the alternator field fuse ?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM
sscully, yes put a new fuse in no. 11 in pwr dist box,alt field according to owners manual.took wiring harness apart looked it over seems ok,the picture in jbrews post shows a fuse on round connector over by solenoid, mine doesnt, could it be located some where else along orange wire,theres not one between connector and alt, thanks doug

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Not sure what fuse you are talking about.

The alternator field fuse is in the mega fuse box on the MY shown, your MY it is moved to the normal fuse box.

Did you clean and meter the wires for damage ?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
i checked wires with multimeter they are ok, am in the process of taking the connectors on wire harness from alt apart to see if they are corroded or damaged, thanks doug

Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
DO NOT TRUST THE AUTOPART STORES ALTERNATOR TEST!!!!!!!!!!

I just had the same problem as you and it turned into a nightmare because i listened to the autopart store when they said my alt was good when it really wasnt.

Ended up spending way more money then i had to and replaced parts that didn't need replacing.

On you alt where the wires hook up is the voltage regulator which also contains the brushes. That should unbolt and come out and will allow you to see the brushes. They are spring loaded and if they are almost worn down they wont be making good contact.

EDIT: This is the post that helped me figure out my problem. Some good pics and charts. Hopefully this helps.

Originally Posted by jbrew
The alternator isn't being told to charge ? Was that his exact words ?

I think Bluegrass probably nailed it. If there is no charging output (battery light illuminates), the battery will quickly discharge of course. You may have 20 minutes to an hour of driving time before everything goes dead and the vehicle shuts down. Here's a little diagram that might help.

You can pull the regulator and check the brushes. Who knows, they may just be sticking, bad wire or spring. I worked on one where the brushes jammed. - Both of them.

The Reg attaches here -

These are the brushes in the reg. They were jammed in this pic. -

Worked loose and cleaned in this one -

Give it a shot, it might be an easy fix.

Last edited by Jesso; 07-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Jesso, one of the brushes is worn down past hole in brush and the other is worn even further. also has 2 grooves worn into rotor. time for new alternator. thanks for the info, doug

Last edited by mrgrizleebear; 07-10-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by mrgrizleebear
Jesso, one of the brushes is worn down past hole in brush and the other is worn even further. also has 2 grooves worn into rotor. time for new alternator. thanks for the info, doug
Yep i figured that was your problem... just shows that the autopart store tester really doesn't work. Glad i could help

Quick Reply: alt/battery help 2000 f150