B1600 code: PATS and resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B1600 code: PATS and resolution

Yesterday My '06 Expy with 5.4l was in "no-starty" mode; crank - no start. I have after-market car-start installed; so while trouble-googling I called the place who installed it - made no headway except to rule OUT the PATS. See, despite the code: B1600 - Ign Key Signal Not Rcvd PATS; my truck wasn't behaving as if the PATS wasn't working. Using the key switching on the ignition my dash-top security light would stop blinking as normal.

Started checking fuses: Fuel pump relay fuse was blown. I replaced and attempted re-start. Pop! Blew again.

Google lead me to: 2006 Expedition FPDM / Fuel Pump issue FIXED - pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I unplugged the FPDM Fuel Pump Driver Module - plugged in a replacement from local auto parts store. Replaced the fuse again, and...

Truck started! Varoom!

I can only guess why the PATS code was showing - I'm assuming the anti-theft is linked to disabling the fuel pump. When the ECU did not get a signal from the pump it assumed it was the PATS not 'releasing' the pump's power.

I tried PBBlaster and a torch to extricate the original piece - nothing worked. I'm sure I'll have to cut off the bolt heads of the old one to remove it. Mean time the replacement is tucked in a cranny and hose-clamped in place.

My purpose with this thread: Adding to the database in case another person runs into similar problems and codes and whatnot.

From attached image; the module is shown circled; with the replacement hanging. That's the driver's side, rear tire in the pic - with my head where the spare would be.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks fer the addition to the knowledge base - good fer you fer placing the error code in the title.

Dorman replacement? Oye.

Either get another one and keep it in the truck as a spare, or if ye can, return it & get the Motorcraft replacement ( and don't fergit to use them standoffs)

Dorman failure rates are unacceptable, IMHO.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM
dmp
Thanks - google told me the Dorman was superior due to powdercoating along the back. Good call,though - I'll look for the motorcraft part too. RockAuto didn't have it - will keep looking. Use the stand-offs? What's that mean?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by dmp
Thanks - google told me the Dorman was superior due to powdercoating along the back. Good call,though - I'll look for the motorcraft part too. RockAuto didn't have it - will keep looking. Use the stand-offs? What's that mean?
Powder coating does little good if the electronics inside fail prematurely . And there are a number of reports of DOA units. I suspect the QA just isn't there.

Standoffs:

( image courtesy of Steve )

The Dorman equivalents are rubber grommets.

Try Tasca fer a good price on the MC FPDM.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM
dmp
Thanks! Checked Tasca - $117. :-/ At least it's available - it's not local.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by dmp
Thanks! Checked Tasca - $117. :-/ At least it's available - it's not local.
PM our friendly & helpful Tasca rep - I'm not sure, but perhaps there is a Forum discount?

MGD

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
dmp
You're the man, Fan.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue with my '06 F150. Least I got 9 yrs out of it.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code b1600

I have a 2008 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Ed that had a code B1600 with the check engine light flashing. I've replaced the Transceiver and it still will not start. I've replaced the battey and it still won't start. It's been towed to the dealership but was told that it started when it arrived and it's probably a key issue. I'm now using the spare key and it still will not start. I removed the Remote Start System with deluxe vehicle security and keyless entry thinking it was the problem and it still will not start as in will not turn over. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Also I've read all the info that I could find on fourms and websites but it did not help.

Quick Reply: B1600 code: PATS and resolution