Old 04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Turn signal stopped working????? What tha…
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...-what-tha.html

ISSUE
Turn signals stopped working. Numerous members are saying they are having similar issues. The issue is caused by a connector in the steering column that breaks when the steering wheel is lowered.
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
So you have had 1 electrical problem in 152K miles, and Ford needs to get better at the electrical system ?

Guess you can' please everyone

Most of my problems on my 99 F-150 have been electrical. Odometer would blank out or read hieroglyphics--found the problem to be cold solder joints on one of the molex plugs connecting two circuit boards in the instrument cluster. Had problem in the transmission where it would jump out of overdrive. Eventually it got so bad the transmission would stay engaged at stop lights & signs. Found it to be a wiring harness that got against the EGR pickup tube and was burning wires in two. Mechanic said it had been that way from the factory as he found the holder where the harness should have been tied safely to the firewall. Door lock actuators quit working--guy with a 99 Explorer had the same problem so two of those are issues with suppliers.

One is someone at Claycomo went on break at the wrong time.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Well my 2003 reg cab had the turn signal problem. One minute they would work, next minute nothing. Same with four way flashers. I tried tilting the steering wheel up and they would work, sometimes. Then they stopped. So after reading all the great posts I proceeded to take things apart. After opening up the steering column I found the connectors all looked good. I removed the multi purpose switch and opened it up. It looked good inside with plenty of grease covering all the contacts, no corrosion nor signs of wear. Next I located the flasher relay under the taped cover, it is the taller blue box next to the smaller black cube. Replace the flasher but still nothing... So I pulled out the good fuse. It was slightly pitted so I cleaned it with a wire brush. As I was pushing the fuse back in the the four ways started working. I had hooked the battery back up to test the new flasher. By the way it takes about 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before the air bag goes to sleep. This should be done when working in the steering column. Anyway my problem is with the fuse box connectors. That is the contacts that the fuse plugs into. If I push the fuse all the way in flashers don't work. When I wiggle the fuse out a little the flashers work. Now I must figure out the best way to restore those hidden fuse contacts. Right now I leave the fuse panel open and reach down and wiggle the fuse to get turn signals on again when they stop working. I almost made it all the way home from work tonight. I even bought a brand new fuse but that didn't help. There is a problem in the fuse box. I hope to get it fixed tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Here's how i fixed my turn signals. For some reason one side of the fuse socket was very loose. So rather than take everything apart again I needed a thicker blade on one side of the fuse to make a solid connection. I cut the tip off a safety pin heated it with my torch and melted it into the fuse plastic so that the pin was held in place over the blade. Cleaned it and when I went to push the fues in, it was good and tight. The 4 way flashers now work 100% of the time as do the turn signals. I don't know how the loose fuse socket happened because I just bought the truck. I don't know if anyone else will have this problem but I wanted to post my solution just in case. My initial symptoms were similar to all the various posts, with tilt wheel, etc. yet none of the previous solutions applied. The fuse was good too just a loose socket. I can't imagine what a dealer would have done but I expect the labor charge would have been several hundred since they are not allowed to rig stuff. I might make up a spare "special" fuse just in case something blows the one that's in there but I don't think I will ever need it.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 PM
take off your steering wheel shroud and play with the conoctors that the hazard wsitch is on. sometimes the hazards will short the system out. tighten screwws and pug wires in nice and tight, if this doesnt work you have a lil more severe problem. just my 2 cents

Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I recently had the same issue with my turn signals not working on my '03 Supercrew. After reading the ideas here, especially dbischoff's good idea of securing the wiring system plug, I followed his instructions and it was easy to repair. The only thing I did differently was to use a thin white cable tie around the perimeter of the plug and recepticle to secure it instead of the wire method as I didn't feel comfortable using a dremel to cut a notch in the plug and possibly cut one or more wires. Larger ties might have interfered with the incoming wires. With the thin ties, which are short, it took three of them do surround the unit and sniper off the excess of each one. The cable works great and the problem solved.. Not sure how to post a pic here but will work on it.

Dennis

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM
wanted to say thanks to all for the help...

it seems the wires were loose in the steering column, so far so good. no telling what a mechanic or shop would have charged. thanks and have a good day for all fellows in this thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Fixed My Left Turn Signal Short

Hello All, I just want to spend some time letting others know how I fixed my problem so hopefully I can help someone with the same problem. I have a 2000 Ford F-150 which has had a short in the left turn signal for over year. The worst part was it was never shorted when I got home or at work (so no way to test). It would blow the fuse that also fed my brake lights. After many hours trying to trace wiring and reading wiring diagrams I found the drivers side door effected the turn signal short. It turns out I have factory wiring for one of those mirrors that have a blinker on them (although my truck does not have that type of mirror, It still had the wiring) and was shorting. I'm guessing years of opening and closing the door broke down the insulation. After some tracing wires I found the wire and clipped it under the dash before it got to the door. Since then I have had no problems.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
OK, just wanted to say I was FREAKING OUT when this happened to me this morning. I had done my brakes this weekend & was wondering WTF was going on?!?!

I vaguely recall messing with my tilt steering this morning as I thought the wheel felt a bit low. (though it wasn't, actually). However, it was still enough to fudge with the blinker. Again, hazards worked fine (well, they've always been a little finicky) but blinkers did NOT. No less than TWO cops followed me today.

Anyway, got to work, fudged w/ it in the parking lot to no avail. Came here & read this thread. Tilted the steering wheel up & down a couple times & PRESTO!.....they work!!! They don't like to work in the "down" position, however, so I'll never go there, but at least they're back & I'm legal.

M!@$%~ F!@#$%~@ cheap electrical bull*****!!!!

Thanks for this thread, gang!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM
I havent had turn signals for nearly a year now....

If my foot is on the brake and I move the handle up/down the rear lamp will short out, so its possible for me to make do...

I have tried a few different things, but nothing has worked.....

Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 10acjed
.....<snip>....
If my foot is on the brake and I move the handle up/down the rear lamp will short out, so its possible for me to make do...

I have tried a few different things, but nothing has worked.....
You lamps short and blow the fuse ?

What are the few things you have tried ? Is one of them testing the MFS itself ?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You lamps short and blow the fuse ?

What are the few things you have tried ? Is one of them testing the MFS itself ?
I dont know what the MFS is.

Hazards work, Fuses are all fine, seems to be the same problem in the column everyone else has had. I just dont have the ability to solder electrical wires..

Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Can anyone help me? I have a 1999 F150 standard cab v6. The wires came out of the back of the plug that goes on the back of the trun signal combo switch. I bought an aftermarket pigtail from the Ford dealer but they could not supply me with a diagram of the wire colors and where they would plug into the new connector. Can anyone send a picture or a diagram? Thanks I am stuck resorting to hand signals as I need my truck to earn money. Brandon in Kansas City

Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Granpa
The turn signal switch is part of the Multifunction Switch. Also in this unit is the Hazard Flasher switch. Both of these switches control the flashers. When Hazard is OFF, there are contacts in the Hazard part of the switch to cut the lines through to the turn signal part. Try turning on and off your hazard flashers a few times. I have seen the turn signals not work after Hazard flasher use on older trucks, a few on/offs wiped the contacts clean. Worth a try.
Granpa I tried your suggestion on my 2002 F150 Supercrew because the trailer signal lights were wacky and it worked. Two days before I used my hazards flashers a few seconds for the first time in 8-9 years , I think they were stuck. Thanks a LOT.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM
2006 ford f150 turn signals and hazard lights

Hey guys can any one help me with my problem I checked all fuses for my turn signals and hazards and they are good. Someone told me the check the flasher relay. We're the hell is it I can't find it I looked all over. Please help thank you

Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a 2006 f150 and my turn signals don't work as well as my hazards I checked all fuses and they are good. What the hell should I look for next and where. Please help me

Quick Reply: turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....