Anyone elses transponder failed yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone elses transponder failed yet?

I jumped in my truck a while back, stuck the key in and noticed the theft light blinking strangly. Paying really no attetion to it I continued to crank the engine and it just set there and cranked. I took the key out flipped it over and it started fine. It hasn't done it again. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen yet.

My dealer said that it would just about take and act of congress to get a new key.

------------------
99 F-150 XLT Sport, Black 4x4 4.6L , 3.55 LS,Manual Tranny, K&N air filter, No Muff Exaust system,.999 tuned TPS,Pioneer CD Player,Pioneer GM-X332 Amp,8" Rockford Fosgate Punches, Custom(self done)pinstriping,Wrap around bugdeflecter

Old 02-14-2000, 11:48 AM
Sugarman,
Being a locksmith, I program these keys on a regular basis. I too had had one do exactly that. I don't know what caused the problem. I wasn't able to duplicate it after it happened that one time. When I programed the key into the system it showed as being "programed successfully." As far as taking an act of congress to get a key, that's bull chips! Every dealer has the nessasary equipment as well as some of the better locksmiths. They're not cheap though! Don't go in there expecting to pay a couple of bucks for a duplicate key. To give you an idea I charge $60.00 to cut a duplicate P.A.T.S. key and program it, $150.00 if you loose all of your keys. You may find someone to do it for less depending on where you live but I believe most are the same or more.
P.S. I'll ask some questions of those in the know to see if they know a possible cause and cure.
------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

[This message has been edited by 98fword (edited 02-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 98fword (edited 02-14-2000).]

Old 02-14-2000, 02:54 PM
Cool

During my travels to wisconsin I bought a key and had it cut for $8.00. Beloit Ford. Actually they're located in northen Illinois. It doesn't say Ford on it but who cares. They wanted to program it for some ungodly fee. I programmed it using the manual and it always works fine.

------------------
99 EB Expedition with all the perks, Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 02-14-2000, 03:18 PM
Smile

Hey 98fword,That sounds about the right price for living in Cary, I think everything over there cost about 25-30%, over the national average, then again everything in Wake Co. costs more.

Go up to Capital Ford and get a blank for $25.00
If you went to Crossroads they wouldn't know what you were talking about...They are as dumb as a rock,quote, unquote..

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Oxford White/Harvest Gold Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4L,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals(Dynomax Turbos), K&N Filter, with a 71¢,3" PVC fresh air tube
Super White Headlamps
JL 10" Wo sub (enclosed)
ALL amps and speakers Kenwood

[This message has been edited by fordyfour (edited 02-14-2000).]

Old 02-14-2000, 03:19 PM
Smile

TEST

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Oxford White/Harvest Gold Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4L,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals(Dynomax Turbos), K&N Filter, with a 71¢,3" PVC fresh air tube
Super White Headlamps
JL 10" Wo sub (enclosed)
ALL amps and speakers Kenwood

[This message has been edited by fordyfour (edited 02-14-2000).]

Old 02-14-2000, 11:17 PM
ExpyBob,
If you got a duplicate P.A.T.S. key for $8.00, count your blessings. Dealer cost on the blank is more than that before any cutting is done.

Fordyfour,
Yes, everything in Wake Co. is terribly expensive. Cost of living here is outrageous. If a customer wants to do the programming themselves, I charge $20.00 to cut a duplicate P.A.T.S. key. Or, if they bring both original keys I'll do the programming at no extra charge. If you don't have *both* original keys it will require special equipment to do the programming. That's assuming the vehicle utilizes the P.A.T.S. II system. See the posts at Safety & Maintinence under Security Keys, I think. You may have to thumb through several pages to find it.
As for the intelligence of Crossroads Ford's employees, I couldn't say. I do know they program P.A.T.S. vehicles on a regular basis. I believe they charge $27.00 for a duplicate P.A.T.S. key only, no programming.
When you have to break out the special equipment, that's when it starts to get expensive.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Old 03-01-2000, 11:13 AM
Smile

Yepppp

I agree. But it really only cost 8.00 plus tax. I was expecting 20 or so for the cut blank. It was easy to program. Like I said Beloit Ford in South Beloit IL. Its right on the southern Wisconsin border. I bought the truck there but the parts guy didn't know that. He indicated they switched to the nameless brand he sold me since people were complaining about the price of the ford replacement. There are good deals to be had. I just happened to go to the right place the first time---Bob

------------------
99 EB Expedition 5.4L with all the perks,3.73 LS,Heated Mirrors and Seats. Everything but sun-roof. Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 03-01-2000, 02:22 PM
By the way. It doesn't take any special equipment if you have 1 key for 97 or 98 and you need both keys to do a 99 - up. It took me about 3 minutes. Most of the time was spent reading the manual. If you want to program over the max number of keys allowed or you lost one or more of the originals depending on year then you need special equipment. That was one of the reasons I bought a spare. If I did loose one I'd still have the two mine requires. This would save me the big buck special equipment route. Food for thought---Bob

------------------
99 EB Expedition 5.4L with all the perks,3.73 LS,Heated Mirrors and Seats. Everything but sun-roof. Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 03-01-2000, 10:27 PM
Cool

Ford only recommends certain brand pats keys for replacement since others may give internmittent performance. As in, sometimes they won't work. Ilco, Curtis, Strattec, are the ones I remember. Stay away from keys with no name. They may be cheaper, but may cost you more in the long run. Oh, and keep this in mind (hope I'm not opening up a can of worms) most dealers charge an hours labor to program a key with NGS. Ford, if they were to do it under warranty, only pays .2 of an hour. That's to enter security access, 10 minute delay, and erase all codes, and program all keys, no matter how many. Not something that can really be done in 10 minutes, but if you don't feel like shelling out the bucks, (my dealer $50) then argue about the .2. They can look it up in the labor op. guide. If that's all Ford has to pay, why should you pay more. (God, I can't believe I'm saying this.)

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 03-03-2000, 09:08 PM
I went to the local Ford dealer and purchased a cut, but not programmed key. Went into the parking lot and put the key into the ignition to ensure a good cut. When I put my known good key into the ignition, the engine cranked but would not start. When I turned the key over (read it here) it worked just fine :0 Interesting! Where are Sculley & Mulder when you need them?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport
Silver
4 door Supercab, Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires
4.6l V8, Auto Transmission (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player

Hopes and Dreams:
Spray-in Bedliner
K&N Filter
WMS Velocity Tube
FlowMaster Exhaust
Nerf Bars

Quick Reply: Anyone elses transponder failed yet?