Fog light/Headlight problem? - fogs no workie..

Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog light/Headlight problem? - fogs no workie..

2002 FX4 with factory fogs, performed fog light mod 6+ years ago and no problems.

In the last couple of weeks, my fogs blew - one then the other a few days later. Finally got off my duff and purchased two more 9005's, put 'em in and went to test them...

Nothing! so checked the fuse (#27 in the cab) and it was blown, so replaced it and proceeded to recheck lights for function.

The headlights came on in parking light mode and regular mode, with or w/out the fogs switched to on. Fog lights did not come on...

Suspect a switch is the culprit but wanted to check with the pros here.

Anyone had this problem and found out the fix???

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by ReelWork; 05-17-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you did the full fog lamp mod ( ramp & change power ), CJB fuse #27 should have been removed.

The headlamps are on when the main headlamp switch is the park position ?
Are you sure they are at full brightness, or dim ( check when turning the main headlamp switch from park to head positions ).

Do you have DRLs ?

If the headlamps are on when the main headlamp switch is in the park position, power is making it back through CJB Fuse #27 and to the headlamps, when the MFS is in the low position.

If you turn on the main headlamp switch to the park position, pull out the fog lamp switch, and turn on the high beams ( push the MFS forward ) do the headlamps still illuminate ?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you probably melted the harness with your bulbs and its grounding out. you put 65W bulbs in a stock harness designed for a 35W bulb. check around your bumper for melted wires. I have 9005s in my fogs, but I also upgraded to heavy-duty harness with 12-gauge wiring

Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
SSCULLY - i will go ahead and remove the fuse then. Didn't know about that... Thanks!

The mod I did was the one here from years ago where the switch is broken down, filed to allow fogs pulled in parking and then spliced the two wires on the switch harness (Brown and Blue/white if memory serves).

Raptor - not saying it's not possible, but I'm thinking the wires would have melted YEARS ago, dontcha think? I've been running the higher wattage fogs (9005) since doing the mod back in '03.

Can you shed some light on the heavy-duty wires? No pun intended...

Thanks guys..

Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh yeah SCULLY - will have to check the hi-beam, fog light illumination you asked about later.. Will let you know.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
OK - IT'S FIXED.... It was FUSE #9 in the engine compartment.

Here's what happened:

When I pulled fuse #27 under the dash, it was blown. But I really think that was on purpose (by me) years ago and I just didn't remember, however that lead me on a goose chase. Following SSCULLY's advice, I pulled dash fuse #27 after checking the high beams. They worked and headlights worked fine, still no fogs though...

So I got the manual and looked up the under hood fuse, #9, which was blown. Replaced it and all worked well..

Here's why that happened. When the fog light blew, it shattered and I'm sure didn't just blow, but shorted out.. I never thought to look there, not the typical place to look when things were working normally, right? Well, back to basics.... It was a basic problem...

Thanks all. Fuse #9 under the hood... That was the culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog light/Headlight problem? - fogs no workie..